Drunk

You could hear and smell the fraternity house a mile away.

Jared opened the door and gave me a swift head nod which I returned out of nothing other than politeness. He soon stepped aside granting us access to the party.

It was exactly as I pictured. Loud music, alcohol flowing, drunken bodies dancing and the stale reek of testosterone filled the air. Liv remained under my arm and I could feel all of the dirty looks my teammates gave me from every corner of the room.

"Liam, you gotta come see this." Reece tugged on my arm and I looked at Olivia for permission. She nodded and I leaned down to kiss the top of her head.

"I'll be right back, I promise." I told her.

"I'll be in the kitchen getting us drinks." I watched her small figure retreat to the kitchen, she had a certain bounce to her step like she enjoyed being here. I couldn't fathom that.

Reece showed me an impressive trophy cabinet with all of the soccer trophies the frat boys had received spiraling over many decades. There were photographs of famous players who attended Stanford and signed soccer balls. As I looked at the wall of fame I thought to myself how strange it is to have been given the opportunity to get myself up there on that board.

"The next freshman class might be looking at you up there one day." Reece said, as if she could read my thoughts. I looked at her strangely but she didn't catch on to my stare. She just kept looking at the recognition board.

"Liam Maines." My whole body shivered at the voice coming from behind me. Both Reece and I turned around slowly and my eyes rolled at the sight of his face. "Not got that girl with you tonight?" Luke looked around the room and I sighed, not wanting to rise to his provocation.

"What do you want Luke?" I asked menacingly.

He smirked, "I want what's yours and I will get it because I always win." My eyes narrowed and my fists clenched. I wanted to wipe that smug smirk right off of his face.

"Is that so?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just giving you a heads up." He told me. I shook my head.

"I'm not rising to this Luke." I grabbed Reece's hand and walked my way through the crowd but as we got to the door of the dining room his words stopped me in my tracks.

"You're weak Liam, she isn't going to want the weaker man." I turned back to face him slowly. His harsh words triggered something inside of me, a dark thought. It's the same one I fight myself with constantly.

I am weak. She deserves better.

"Liam come on, don't." Reece tried to pull me away but I was already seething.

"You think I'm weak?" I asked Luke and he nodded. "Let's see just who is the weakest." He narrowed his eyes at me and now it was my turn to smirk. "Ten shot challenge?" I suggested.

Luke laughed. "Child's play, let's make it a twenty shot challenge."

"Fine." We each took a seat at the table and waited for Jared to bring us a tray of shots. He set them out in a line, twenty in front of each of us.

Our little showdown attracted quite the gathering, people cheered and placed bets. It seemed like nobody was batting in my corner but that's okay, I'm used to that.

"Okay, ten shot challenge, except there's twenty shots each. First one to pass out or throws up is the loser, if you can handle twenty we'll give you more." Jared announced to everybody.

My glacial eyes didn't leave Luke's. I watched his every move to make sure he wasn't throwing the game somehow.

"Go." Jared shouted.

I looked down at the neat line of blue liquid. It was made with blue kamikaze and the percentage of alcohol was intentionally higher than usual. This was a lethal game I was playing, but I knew my stomach could take it. Drinking was one of my many coping mechanisms, I started drinking at a young age but thankfully I was in control enough to not fall into alcoholism.

I picked up the first shot and highered the glass to my mouth. The liquid tasted a little bit bitter at first but had a sweet after taste that I quite liked. Luke stared coldly at me but I matched it.

By shot number five I felt a little bit buzzed, adrenaline ran through my veins and I only got more excited by the way Luke was looking at me. I never drink here, not around these people. I don't trust them and I don't trust myself. So he has grossly underestimated my abilities when accepting this challenge.

Eight shots in and I won't deny, I did feel tipsy, the kind of tipsy where I would usually stop drinking because I like to remain in control of myself. He wasn't looking too great either. He kept making low groaning sounds and his face didn't look a normal colour.

But we continued, neither one wanting to let the other win.

I picked up shot number eleven, my whole head whirled with drunkenness but through my beer goggles I could see his grey complexion.

"I need a bucket." Luke shouted and Jared passed him a baseball cap from Charlies head. Luke coiled over and puked up everything right in front of everyone.

And as he was being sick I picked up shot number twelve and tipped it to the back of my throat, earning me cheers from the crowd and floods of back pats.

"Liam, that was amazing." One girl grabbed my arm and started stroking down my flesh, I swiped her hand away.

"Not going to lie Liam, that turned me on." Another girl tried to situate herself on my lap. I stood up immediately, working my way through the crowd

"God, I hate drunk girls." I slurred out to Liv. I noticed her standing with someone, a girl. She looked shy and constantly fixed her hair. "Hi." I greeted her alarmed face.

"Oh my god, you're talking to us?" She stuttered out.

I laughed at her joke but then I stopped laughing because I didn't get it. "What?" I asked.

"Charlotte this is my boyfriend Liam." Liv spoke up.

I fixated my gaze on Olivia, I couldn't look away. She was just so breathtakingly beautiful. Her features were perfect and she had the cutest freckles dusting her nose. I wanted to kiss each and every one of them.

My feet wouldn't remain still on the ground, I felt like it was moving beneath me and I couldn't get them to stand still. I whooshed my hands through the air and grabbed Liv, pulling her into me and inhaling her delicious scent. I buried my lips into the crook of her neck. I wanted to suck on her flesh lightly but I didn't want to leave a mark on her perfect skin so I just kissed delicately.

"Hey, I'm going back to Luke's dorm. Don't wait up." Lola's voice interrupted. I pulled away from Liv instantly and grabbed Lola's arm. Pulling her towards me.

"Don't make a sex tape." I warned her.

"I'm not going to have sex with him Liam, I'm just going to make him think that I am." She informed me.

"Be careful." I warned her again.

"She's so weird." Liv giggled and I turned to her instantly with a certain seriousness to my face.

"She does what she has to." I told her, not wanting to hear her judging Lola again. She doesn't judge me so she shouldn't judge her, it honestly made me a little mad.

Her brows furrowed with bewilderment but I ignored that look and just fixed myself another drink. I feel compelled to defend and protect Lola now that I know her secret. There is just this connection between us that only we can truly understand. I could see the look of disapproval Olivia was giving me for drinking more when I was already drunk.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her through the crowds of people, "Let's get out of here."

They say drunk lips speak sober minds, so let's do some talking.