Yes

"You came back." She offered me a small smile from her bed and I rubbed the back of my neck in her hospital room doorway.

"I wasn't going to... I shouldn't have but... I couldn't help it." I admitted honestly.

"Do you have the money?" She asked rapidly and I shook my head, making a look of disappointment cross her face.

"I've spoken with your doctor, set up a fund for you where I pay them directly. I'm going to pay for you to go to rehab. You'll stay there until you're in remission and then I'll pay for the aftercare. Make sure you're always supported."

"Liam you don't need to do that, you can give the money to me. You can trust me this time." I could hear the pleading in her voice.

"I want you away from Jax. After you complete your rehab I can set you up somewhere, buy you a house far away and you can start fresh. Everything will be paid for and Jax wouldn't even know where to find you. I am giving you a real chance here mom."

I could hear how raw and emotional my voice sounded and I didn't like it. I wanted her to accept my offer with every beat of my heart. I've always wanted this for her.

She laughed. It was a genuine laugh but it didn't evaporate the sadness in her eyes.

"And where are you going to get the money from for all of that?" She scoffed.

"You don't need to worry about that, just say yes." Her eyes searched mine, they were soulless and empty. Faded blue that was once filled with a spirit, one I didn't get to see because her fire burnt out long before I was born. I think she was actually taking my offer seriously.

"And what about us?" She pulled her eyes away from mine and looked down, knowing the answer before she even asked the question.

"I love you mom, I always have and I always will even after everything. But my life is only just starting and I want to build my future away from my past.

I can't offer forgiveness and I can't offer any form of relationship. I don't want you around Liv and when I have children of my own I don't want you around them either. I am only offering to pay for your hospital bills, your safety and a fresh start.

The doctors will keep me regularly updated on your progress so I will always know where you are and how you're doing but I can't let you into my life, you've already claimed too much of it and now I need to put myself first, I need to move on from you. I'm giving you a chance, do you want to take it?"

I felt like time stood still as I waited for an answer. She wiped away her falling tears and sniffed back some sobs but after a few minutes of quiet thinking she uttered the words I so desperately wanted to hear.

"Yes."

***

"Hey" I said as she crawled into her tree house and came to sit next to me. I failed to bite back a smile that tugged at my lips. "You tricked me" I pointed out, remembering the conversation from earlier.

"It doesn't matter. I'm obviously not going to go if it means I can't support you at your interview." She lay down facing the wooden roof and rested her head on her arms.

I was flattered by her gesture to stay but I couldn't make her do that. This interview was going to be nothing special anyway, I would just be answering questions about soccer. If they tried to ask me about anything else I would simply refuse.

"No, you should go." I told her.

She turned to face me utterly surprised and questioned what I had just said with a disbelieving tone that almost made me laugh.