Destiny

"It's a bit early." Her small voice spoke out from behind me.

"It's nine somewhere." I replied with a sharp tone. I didn't bother turning around to look at her. I knew I looked like a stubborn child spitting my pacifier out because I didn't get my own way but I was too pissed off to care.

"Yeah it's nine here ... in the morning." She sat herself on the vacant bar stool that Lola had just sat in less than half an hour ago. I slammed the glass down on the bar and pushed it away from me.

"Happy?" I asked sarcastically. I know she could sense my mood, it filled the whole room and that's why I felt the bar was empty because everybody wanted to avoid the vibes I was giving off.

"Why did you punch Jordan?" She asked, as if she needed clarification. Surely she of all people knew how hard it was for me. I shouldn't need to explain it to her.

"Because he is a dick." I offered. It was all the description she needed. It explained a lot. But it was growing apparent by the look on her face that she needed more. She was really going to make me say, explain it, admit it all. She really wanted me to tell her that I was jealous. Jealous of my best friend, jealous of anyone capable of normality and easiness when it came to intimacy and relationships.

I sighed, wanting to grab back the half full glass but I gripped control of my fingers and willingly divulged the reason why I punched Jordan.

"I just didn't expect to walk in and find my girlfriends body pressed up against my best friends. Your arms draped over his bare chest and he just slept there blissfully peaceful in your arms. He didn't appreciate it, he takes for granted what comes so easily to him and he got to lay like that all night with the one girl I want to lay like that with."

Repeating it only made me imagine it again in my mind and imagining it again in my mind only made me increasingly angry.

"Liam we sleep like that all the time." She really wasn't understanding why this was such a big deal to me.

But then it occurred to me, did I actually tell her how hard it was for me to sleep next to her. Did I tell her that feeling her warm body pressed against mine through the night played tricks on my mind. Did I tell her that sleeping next to her induces the nightmares. Or did I just assume she would know that judging on my reactions?

"Yeah but you don't know the inner struggle I have to go through just to do that. The nightmares that come afterwards just because sharing my bed makes them stronger. Fuck, if we go back to a year ago sharing a bed wasn't even an option available to me."

Okay, that was scraping the surface but I really couldn't deep dive into all of that now.

"I'm sorry. I got pretty messed up last night and Jordan really did help me. He didn't cross any boundaries, he didn't betray you in any way, he told me not to touch him or face him but obviously I did when I was asleep. You really need to not make him feel guilty for being there because it's lucky that he was."

I released a strong exhale because I knew she was right, I knew that before she even told me it. But that didn't mean I liked it or wanted to accept it. I pulled my glass closer to me and took a sip, drinking until the glass was empty.

Jordan would never betray my friendship. If they shared a bed it was because there was a good reason for it. He came here to protect them and I had no doubts that he did that wholeheartedly because beneath the surface he was a good person who cared about his friends deeply and put them above everyone else. Olivia was his friend.

I called the bar tender over again, I didn't miss the roll of his eyes as he approached me with a faux smile.

"Could you get me another ice pack?" He shot a disapproving glance down at my knuckles which were still covered in a melted pack and gave me a gracious nod.

Olivia's lips twitched into a smile, knowing she had won me over. But admittedly she had only won me over because in the heat of the moment I thought that I hated him. I felt guilty for that because I don't hate him, I could never hate him. In fact, quite the opposite. I love him.

"Will you do something for me?" I asked, taking her hand in mine. A frown crossed her face as she noted the grazed knuckles but I ignored her and kept my brain focused on the question I was about to ask.

"Of course."

I took a deep breath.

"Will you come with me when he gets sentenced?" I think I stunned her into radio silence, her posture went stiff and her beautiful green eyes just blinked at me like she was trying to absorb and process my words.

I started to feel my cheeks heating up, no matter how many times she helps me and doesn't make me feel bad about it I still get embarrassed for needing her.

"You have to go to that?" She asked slowly, with care.

"They called me and said I didn't need to, I could give a victim impact statement via video link or write a letter. But I feel like this is something I need to do, for closure."

I hated that. Being referred to as a victim. I pulled my eyes down, I couldn't look at her. I didn't want her to see me that way, I didn't want to think of myself as that. Like Lola said, I was a survivor.

I felt her warm grasp touch my skin, her hands were smooth on my short overnight stubble and gently she tilted my head up to face her. My blue eyes soaked up every bit of softness her features had to offer.

"I will always be by your side." She spoke confidently, making me feel instantly reassured.

"It's in two weeks." I added quickly. I received a phone call not long before the interview informing me of the date and I had tried to block it out of my mind but now I'm sure that this is my destiny.

I'm meant to use my platform to share my story, why else would fate have dealt me these cards so early on in my carer. I have something more powerful than my soccer skills. The ability to spread awareness, give support and share courage.

The bar tender dropped a heavy ice pack down in front of me and I rolled my eyes, knowing I needed to apologize to the biggest dick on the planet, my best friend.

We entered the suite and everyone seemed to be there, except Tia.

"Here you douche." I threw the ice pack down onto his knee, a little harder than I normally would if I hadn't caught him in bed with my girl. His face instantly lit up like the fourth of July, he looked innocent and childlike. "Next time you take the floor." I warned.

"Next time she can take the floor." He fired back.

I just shook my head at him.

What a dick.