Chapter 55

The Love You Give

"Are you ready?" Sakura gathered her things at the hospital.

"Yeah" Sasuke stood, wincing as he put his shirt on. He was still heavily bandaged and sore from the attack with White Zetsu.

"Careful, don't push yourself" his wife commented, rushing over to help.

When they were younger, he would have shrugged her and anyone else off if they so much as laid a hand on him, but now he was grateful for her love and care. She truly hadn't changed. She was still the same Sakura he'd always known, only now she was stronger and more mature. She stood confidently before him with a soft expression on her face, tenderly caring for him.

"Sakura."

"Hm? What is it?"

He brought his hand up to cup her face. "You haven't changed" he smiled. Leaning closer, he kissed her softly as dawn broke through the window overlooking the village. The gentle morning light sparkled pink and orange on the water surrounding them.

"W-what are you doing all of a sudden?" Sakura grasped his hand, blushing wildly.

"I'm just happy you're here by my side. After last week with the attack, I've been thinking that if I didn't have you in my life...I mean if you were gone, I'd..."

"Hey" Sakura squeezed his hand. "It's okay. I'm here with you now and I always will be...no matter the distance. And you know...I feel the same way, anata."

He smiled softly thinking about the future of his family. Noticing his wife was staring at him with a gleam in her eye though, he pulled away. "Um...we should get going" he cleared his throat and reached for his sword in the corner.

Sakura sighed, disappointed by his sudden change back to his cold persona. She was enjoying that moment of affection. "Shannaro" she sighed.

Sasuke smiled knowingly as she trudged along behind him. She made such a cute expression whenever he teased her.

When they emerged outside the hospital, Sakura ran ahead excitedly. "Oh wow, look at the water" she smiled looking back at her husband.

He was taken aback by the sight. Her bright smile lit up the skies as the sea shimmered and sparkled gold in the sunlight. Her hair blew softly in the breeze like cherry blossom petals and her eyes...her piercing green eyes...he wondered if Sarada would inherit her mother's piercing gaze. In a haze he remembered his dream, only it felt like a memory. He pinched his brow as her image appeared in his mind, a girl with jet black hair and onyx eyes.

"Sasuke?" her expression changed to one of concern, bringing him back to reality.

"Hey, you two! Are you leaving again? It feels like you just got here yesterday." Inari strolled along the boardwalk.

"Yeah, we've spent too much time here already. Plus, Sasuke needed a week to heal so we're already behind schedule" Sakura commented.

Her husband looked on with an apologetic expression. He felt like such a burden to their mission. He was supposed to be leading their expedition, but lately, it seemed that Sakura had taken over that role.

"I see. I wish my grandfather could be here to meet with you but he's on a job right now" Inari sighed.

"It's okay, just tell him we wish you both all the best" Sakura smiled.

"I will. Oh! And tell Naruto I'll visit the Leaf again soon! I hope he's doing well" Inari grinned.

"Yeah, he's doing just fine. Much like us, he'll be having a child soon too" Sasuke commented.