Chapter 38

Never Forget Your Comrades

After the ceremony, the old Team 7 walked over to the Memorial Stone, while Ino ushered the remaining guests back through the path. The sun was starting to dip over the stream, creating a warm, golden glow on the clearing.

Sakura and Sasuke held hands as they knelt by the stone, with Kakashi and Naruto behind them. They lit incense and paid their respects to their fallen comrades and Itachi. Sakura had only met him once or twice, but despite the devastation, she knew how much he meant to Sasuke. His pain over his brother's death nearly destroyed him. Seeing him now, however, he was like a different person. He was calmer, as though the storm raging inside him had turned into a clear summer day. She only hoped she could help him to keep those storms at bay.

"Itachi," Sasuke started, choking up slightly.

Naruto and Kakashi placed their hands on his shoulders. Sakura squeezed Sasuke's hand, facing forward with determination.

"Itachi" he started again, with the strength of his comrades pushing him forwards. "Today was the day I married this wonderful woman, Sakura Haruno. Together, we will restore the Uchiha clan and bring light into this world, I promise. Our journey has only just begun." He smiled at Sakura, making her heart skip a beat.

They stood, facing forwards as the sun set over the hills. Sakura clung to Sasuke's arm, leaning her head on his shoulder endearingly, admiring the landscape.

Naruto and Kakashi walked over and joined them. Naruto leaned his head on Sakura's shoulder, while Kakashi placed his hands on the boys' shoulders.

"We finally made it, didn't we?" he sighed in relief. "Peace and happiness are finally possible. And you three are all adults now. It's amazing how far we've come isn't it?"

They stood together, watching the sun sink deeper. The original Team 7 was together again.

***

The following morning, Sakura snuck out of her apartment at dawn. She gave a sleeping Sasuke a quick kiss before heading directly to the Leaf hospital.

She took the steps three at a time, searching for her mentors.

"Sakura, I didn't expect you to come in today. Isn't Sasuke leaving soon?" Shizune gasped on seeing her.

"I know, I just wanted to check in first." She indicated nervously.

Shizune chuckled. "You really are something, Sakura. Everything's fine here. Tsunade and I have everything covered. So, you go on and be with your husband."

Sakura blushed, smiling. It was still hard to believe that she and Sasuke were married. It felt like something out of a dream. She gave Shizune a hug. "Thanks so much for everything" she smiled. "Where's Lady Tsunade? I need to speak to her as well."

"Just down the hall, but don't take too long. You'll need to get going soon."

Sakura nodded and rushed down the corridor. The smell of antiseptic wafted through the air. It made her feel at home in a strange way. 

"Lady Tsunade!" Sakura clambered into the head office of the hospital.

"Sakura? What are you doing here at this hour?" Tsunade asked suspiciously. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes," Sakura gasped. She looked up at her mentor tearily. "Sasuke's leaving shortly."

"I see" Tsunade bit her lip. "So, it's finally time, huh?"