Chapter 32

A Parent's Love

Sasuke left Naruto's house with Sakura by his side. The previous night had been more fun than he'd had in a long time and he felt a little embarrassed by his behavior. He wasn't normally the type to express his feelings, but he was so overcome with joy and love, he couldn't help but celebrate with the others. Now, however, he was determined to remain more composed in his actions. They were on their way to tell Sakura's parents after all.

He looked down, watching her smile softly as they approached her house. The Uchiha crest glimmered on her back filling him with a sense of hope. He couldn't quite read her expression, though. Although subtle, he got the sense that she was nervous. After their conversation about wedding preparations that morning, he wasn't sure what her true feelings were. Did she want a big white wedding? And if so, what would that mean for the village? If word spread across the land as it did for Naruto's wedding, he may be targeted by their enemies due to his visual prowess. He pinched his brow remembering his duties. Would he have to leave again? He couldn't imagine leaving Sakura behind, especially at a time like this.

"Sasuke?" her voice broke through his thoughts. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, it's nothing," he said, shaking his head. He couldn't let himself be overtaken by his fears.

"Come on, I can tell when something's bothering you. You can tell me if you're upset, you know" she commented.

Sasuke took a deep breath. What was he doing, worrying like this? No matter what, they'd find a way towards a better future. "Thank you, Sakura. I'm fine now" he smiled.

She squeezed his hand and returned a smile as bright as the sunshine.

Looking up at the apartment complex before them, Sakura took a deep breath. She knew her parents weren't the biggest fans of Sasuke, but they'd have to get on board sooner or later. They did say they'd be willing to try and move past his previous transgressions after all.

"Let's go" Sasuke smiled at her encouragingly.

Her worries floated away with his calm expression, as though he were transferring his own positive feelings to her. She headed up the stairs towards the apartment, arm in arm with her fiancée.

"Mom, dad, we're here!" she called out as she opened the door.

"So, you're back again, eh punk?" her dad wandered into the doorway.

"Dad!" Sakura complained. "That's no way to speak to Sasuke."

"Hmph, come inside," he said, heading back through the hallway.

"What's with him?" Sakura turned to Sasuke.

He shrugged.

They removed their shoes and wandered into the room. It was so dark and quiet, Sakura wondered what was happening.

"Ready, sweetie?" her dad's voice whispered excitedly.

"Shh! They'll hear us" her mom hissed back.

"Um, what's going on?" Sakura asked in the darkness.

"Surprise!" her parents yelled suddenly, switching on the lights, and showering them with streamers.

"Ah! What?!" Sakura jumped back. Sasuke looked unfazed.

"It happened right? Sasuke proposed?" her mother prompted. "Oh no, what if we got our information from the wrong source and just spoiled everything for them!"

"Of course, he did. He wouldn't ask for our permission if he wasn't going to propose after all that. And don't worry, I got my knowledge from the best guy in town" her father smirked, giving her the thumbs up.

"Don't tell me you asked Might Gai, you know he always takes things to the extreme."

"Um, wait," Sakura said timidly, in shock.

"It's true!" Sasuke broke through their bickering. Everyone turned to look at him. "S-Sakura and I..." he looked away, blushing. "We got engaged last night."

"We were spot on! I told you Might Gai was a reliable source" her father laughed heartily.

"Oh, you" she elbowed him before going over to her daughter and Sasuke. "I'm so happy for you both" she smiled with tears in her eyes. "Welcome to the family, Sasuke," she said, taking his hand.

He looked at her with wide eyes...family. He turned away as his eyes brimmed with tears.

"Now, have you told Kakashi? I was thinking of inviting him over for tea."

"Tell him there's love brewing!" Her father jumped in, unable to restrain himself from making a pun.

"Didn't I tell you to give those jokes a rest?" her mother rolled her eyes. 

"We told Kakashi last night" Sakura indicated. "He was delighted and treated us to a meal! I think we'll have to go and talk to him properly later though since we weren't focused on the details per se."

"I see, so you even told Kakashi before us?" her mother said, going to prepare some tea.

"Mom...that's not what I-"

"Did your father and I really make you that uncomfortable? I thought...I thought we were going to start over" her hand shook on the kettle.

"It's not like that mom, Sasuke and I just...we just..."

"We wanted to tell you properly in a more formal setting" Sasuke piped up, covering for her. "I'm not used to being a part of a family like this, sharing things, and telling each other our plans right away. With my family things were different. We were very private, as am I. And so, I was the one that told Sakura we should wait to inform you properly."

"I see," her father commented with deadly seriousness. "You rascal, you should've known we'd be happy to know anytime" her father grinned wildly, patting Sasuke's head aggressively. "Honey, why don't we put on some toast for the happy couple? You know, toast...for a toast!? Hahaha!"

"Don't make me come out there!" her mom threatened. 

Sakura tried to pry her dad off of Sasuke. "Leave him alone, he's not the affectionate type."

"What? We'll have to change that" her father argued, still clinging to him.

So, this is hell, Sasuke thought.

When her mom arrived in the living room, however, everyone resumed their places. "You all really are hopeless, shannaro" she huffed. "Anata, you need to be more considerate of their feelings, and Sakura, you need to calm down and stop getting so upset over everything. As for you Sasuke, you need to let loose. I know this family can be a lot to take at times, but ultimately, we are just that, a family. We love one another dearly and we want you to be a part of that too."

The Haruno's gave him warm smiles, filling his heart with love and reminding him of the treasured moments he spent with his own family. He smiled back at them, "Yes, I understand. Thank you."

After tea, the two prepared to go and meet with Kakashi.

"Thank you" Sakura smiled, giving her parents a hug.

Her parents looked up at Sasuke and reached out to him too.

He looked away shyly but was pulled in by their grasp until he too was a part of their family embrace. He smiled in spite of himself.

They waved goodbye as they headed back onto the road and walked towards the Hokage Tower.

"I'm sorry. My parents can be so intense sometimes," Sakura said nervously.

Sasuke shook his head. "It was nice actually. Seeing your family and feeling like I could be a part of it too. It made me remember little moments from my past and deepened my feelings for you" he smiled, brushing back a strand of her pink hair. He checked to make sure the coast was clear before kissing her forehead softly.

Sakura smiled; he really would become a part of their family. It was a dream come true.