Chapter 3

Welcome Home

Early in the morning, Sasuke made his way back to Konoha. It had been four long years since he was home. Home where she was. He could just picture her warm smile and pink hair glistening in the spring sunlight. He smirked to himself, but then remembered that Naruto would be there too. That baka would probably make a scene since he had been away for so long. After all, Naruto was one of the reasons he was coming home. He received a letter from him stating that there was some sort of "genjutsu problem" in the village. Considering they just had the issues with the "exploding humans" not long ago, Sasuke thought it would be best if he checked in with Kakashi as well.

He trudged along until he came across a certain bench. Regret and remorse instantly flooded his mind. He remembered that day so well...too well. He had been such a fool back then. He could still hear the pain in her voice as she told him she loved him and begged him not to leave. He winced at the thought.

"Sasuke?" a soft voice called.

He looked up and his eyes widened on seeing her. "S-Sakura?" Her soft pink hair and bright green eyes glinted in the light. She gave him a big grin as she walked over to him.

"I...uh" he stammered. Why was it so hard to talk to her all of the sudden? His face felt hot and his heart pounded in his chest. Was he sick? He remembered the last time he'd seen her at the gates of the village. He'd poked her forehead just as his brother used to do years ago. The gesture was supposed to be the ultimate symbol of his love and gratitude towards her. Something was different though. He thought that would settle things but he had a sneaking suspicion that their journey was only just beginning. He pinched his brow, unsure of where to go from there.

Sakura stepped closer towards him. She reached her arm out tentatively, unsure of how he'd react. She looked away and paused, remembering what transpired the last time they were in this place. The memory of her tears and all of the suffering he caused her ate away at him. It was his biggest regret.

"Sakura, I'm sorry," he frowned, grasping her outstretched hand. "I'm so sorry, for everything". He took a step forward and embraced her. He never wanted to cause her pain ever again.

"Sasuke" she whispered, hugging him back.