Chapter 35

A Change of Plans

Sakura stopped by Ino's shop early in the morning before work. The flowers were in full bloom, beautiful in the summer sun. She didn't know where her friend had time to run the shop and help out at the clinic they shared. It must be exhausting for her. As Sakura reached out to take a daffodil, Ino came around the corner.

"What's up, Sakura? You don't usually come over so early."

"Ino" Sakura smiled. "I...I'd like to make a request!"

Her friend laughed. "Why so formal? It reminds me of the days when we demanded Lady Tsunade train us, particularly you."

Sakura smiled; those days seemed so long ago now. She shook her head. "Listen, Ino. I was wondering...well..."

"Come on, it's only me" she smirked.

"Well, Sasuke and I are engaged now so..." she took a deep breath, then stood tall, looking directly at her. "Ino, will you be my maid of honor?"

"Ahhh!" Ino half laughed, throwing herself on Sakura, crushing her in a hug. "Of course!"

"Really? You'll do it?"

"Why? Did you think I wouldn't?"

"No, it's just...well I mean, we have a history when it comes to this sort of thing."

"Sakura" Ino placed her hands on her friend's shoulders, becoming more serious. "I think of you as my own sister. Of course, I'll support you no matter what." A mischievous smile flickered across her face. "Besides, if Sasuke leaves you at the altar, that would make for a perfect opportunity!" She teased.

"Back off! Ino, pig!" Sakura retorted.

"Billboard brow!"

The two girls burst out laughing.

Ino settled down and smiled at her friend. "All that aside, I'm with Sai now. In fact..." she whispered something in Sakura's ear.

"No way! Seriously, Ino!" she smiled, jumping up and down. "I can't believe it!"

"I know, right?!"

Sakura looked up at the sky as the sun rose high over the Hokage faces. It was a bright new day filled with possibilities.

"So, before you head off to work. Tell me, what have you planned for the ceremony so far?" Ino inquired excitedly.

"Well actually, I'm thinking it'll just be my parents, you, Naruto, Kakashi Sensei, Lady Tsunade, Sai, and maybe Yamato. We want to keep it small and private. You know Sasuke, after all. He's not big on grand gestures of affection...at least not in public. I could hardly get him to invite that many."

"What?! But that's hardly anyone?! Don't you want something flashier?" Ino demanded.

"As long as it's Sasuke, I don't mind" Sakura smiled sheepishly. "I just want him to be happy."

"That may be true, but your happiness is just as important! Don't ever forget that! I know Sasuke comes across as cool and calm, but don't let him walk all over you as he did in the past."

"I know, Ino. I honestly can't tell you how happy I am, truly. As for Sasuke, I know him better than anyone else. He wouldn't do anything to hurt me now."

Ino gave her an unconvincing smile but gave up. "As long as your happy, then I'm all for it."

"Thanks, Ino" Sakura smiled. She gave a wave before running off towards the Leaf hospital.

***

Sakura worked hard, making her rounds as the day became increasingly hectic. She was bombarded with paperwork and patients from Shizune and Tsunade as they handled the administrative work and critical cases. By the time lunch came around, Sakura was already drained.