Chapter 43

Precious

"Are you sure about this? Cause we can go back to the Leaf" Sasuke commented, worriedly.

"I told you it's fine. We're still on a mission after all. We can't just abandon ship over something like this."

"But it's dangerous, what if something happens?"

"Nothing's going to happen, Sasuke. Besides, you'll be there to protect me, right?"

He glanced at his wife worriedly. She could be so stubborn sometimes. He sighed; he'd take care not to bring her to the main hideout where Orochimaru was anyway. Still, they'd have to stay on guard. Who knew what was going on in the Sound these days?

They carried onwards until they hit the Valley of the End. Sakura gazed into the ruins below. It brought back both painful and comforting feelings for her. On the one hand, it was where her two teammates had their ultimate battle, but on the other, it was also where Sasuke apologized and they became Team 7 again. She felt so nostalgic, looking at the scene, she didn't realize Sasuke was already down in the ravine, walking across the ruins. The two hands of the legendary shinobi Hashirama Senju and Madara Uchiha lay still in the unison sign as a memory of the battles fought in that spot.

She jumped down to join her husband. She wondered what he was thinking right now in this, the place where he became whole again despite losing his arm. Both he and Naruto struggled so much, and their journey carried so much weight in her heart. Team 7...it took on a whole new meaning now.

Sasuke stood, staring at the bloodstain, still on the stone years later. Looking at his palm he wondered how much he'd changed? He'd found friendship and what it meant to be a shinobi. He glanced at his wife, as the wind blew her pink hair across her porcelain face softly. He found love too...and soon, he would rediscover the meaning of family. Naruto was like a brother to him of course, but Sakura was different. She was his wife. She was precious to him. Looking at her now, he wondered how his parents felt before his and Itachi's birth. Had his mother smiled as Sakura did now? And did his father cry as he did on hearing the news of the beginning of their family? There were many things he wished he could ask them now.

Sakura smiled and held his hand. She placed the other on her abdomen, smiling softly. It was a new beginning for both of them. Just as Naruto and Sasuke changed their fate in this very spot, so too would they begin anew in their journey together.

Sakura nodded to her husband and guided him past the ruins, into the forest beyond.

Sasuke felt uneasy, following the same path he took many years ago, but this time, she was there by his side.

"Last chance" he warned as they approached the signpost.

"Come on, Sasuke. Let's go!" Sakura marched forward determinedly.

He rolled his eyes and followed her warily. I hope you know what you're getting into, he thought. This place is a lot worse than the Forest of Death. We'll have to stay on guard constantly.

Sakura walked onward through the dark forest without a care in the world. She radiated pure confidence and joy.

Sasuke on the other hand, battled snakes, poisonous plants, and anything else that threatened his wife. By the time they reached the first hideout, he was exhausted.

"Well, well, I didn't expect to find you two here! Congratulations again. How is married life treating you both?"

"Captain Yamato! It's great to see you" Sakura smiled. "We're just here to pick up something from Karin."