Chapter 28

Family

The following day, Team 7 was released from the hospital. As the sun rose high in the sky, Sakura headed over to her parents' house for the first time in weeks. She felt she owed them a visit, and besides that, there was something she wanted to discuss.

"I'm home" she called as she opened the door.

"Sakura Haruno, why didn't you tell us you were going on a mission, you had us worried sick! Not to mention the recent attack on the village!" her mother scolded. "We had to get updates from Shizune and Kakashi!"

"I know, I know. But I'm here now" she reassured her. She took off her shoes and headed inside.

"So, you finally decided to grace us with your presence" her father winked, looking up from his newspaper.

Come on, the one time I come home from a visit and all they do is nag. She took a deep breath. This was an important conversation that they needed to have. She wasn't going to let anything sway her.

"Mom, Dad, there's something I need to tell you," she said, taking a seat by her father.

"I think I know what this is about," her mother commented, coming around the corner with some tea.

Her father nodded and put down his paper. "Listen, sweetheart, I may be all fun and games usually, but when it comes to my little girl's safety things are different."

Sakura looked at them, suddenly confused. "Safety?"

Her parents exchanged glances before her mother spoke up. "Listen Sakura, we know that you're a jonin now and that you've been faced with untold battles, particularly in the war, but things are different now. You still have your whole life ahead of you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sakura asked defensively.

Her father sighed. "We're talking about that Uchiha boy."

"What?!" Sakura felt her anger rising. What business do they have butting in on my personal life, shannaro?!

"Sakura listen to us, honey. That boy is dangerous. At first, it was just a crush, but after hearing what Shizune had to say, we know it's much more than that now. Darling, you have to know that he's caused you so much pain over the years. We've seen the horrors he's put you through and we can't stand idly by while this toxic relationship continues."

Sakura stood up. She had to leave before she tore the whole house apart. How could they say such horrible things about Sasuke?! And how dare Shizune discuss her personal life with them?!

"Please understand our concerns, he was a rogue ninja for five years and threatened to destroy the Leaf! Of course, we'd be concerned."

She shrugged her father off as he tried to reach for her hand. "I can't believe you two! You don't even know him! I thought you'd support me now that I'm finally happy after all this time." She ran out the door with tears streaming down her face. 

"Sakura!" her mom called after her. She glanced at her husband worriedly.

***

Sasuke walked through the Leaf Village with Naruto at his side, encouraging him.

"It's got to be romantic, dattebayo. Sweets aren't going to cut it! Back when Hinata and I were a young couple, I took her on the most romantic excursions" he bragged.

"You're a newlywed and you took her to Ichiraku, loser."

Naruto doubled back. "It was still romantic though. I even covered the bill!"