Chapter 16

Target

Sasuke and his team traveled for most of the day, approaching the location of the Akai Hebi from a distance. Orochimaru indicated they were merely a few kilometers away from the Leaf and operated in two teams of four members each. It would be a fair fight, to say the least.

"I can sense them nearby" Karin indicated. "The evil intent in their chakra is overpowering."

Sasuke nodded. Thinking back, it was likely that his chakra was the same just a couple of years ago. Could Karin sense his intentions back then too?

"So, what's the plan then?" Suigetsu asked reluctantly. "It's not like we can knock on their door."

"We attack at dawn" Sasuke indicated, jumping down to the ground. "I'll take first watch."

"Cold as ever" Suigetsu mumbled.

Karin walked over to Sasuke as the others picked a spot to rest for the night. "Why are you really doing this?" she asked, taking a seat by him.

"There's something I have to protect."

"Something or someone?" 

Sasuke turned to her. "It's none of your concern" he indicated coldly. Still, he never expected Karin of all people to pick up on his personal life. He worried that if she found out the truth she'd turn her back on the mission. Without her abilities, everything would fall apart. 

"I know, Sasuke. I know I'm not the person who will make you happy in the future. After all, I couldn't even save you from the darkness."

"Karin" he gasped. He'd never seen this side of her. He suddenly felt terrible for simply using her for her abilities as everyone else had. He should have been more considerate of her feelings as a comrade. After all, she was like a sister to him. 

He took a deep breath. "Karin, I-"

"It's okay Sasuke, just tell me that you're happy at long last" she smiled through tears.

He placed a hand on her shoulder. "I am. And Karin, I'm sorry."

She brushed away her tears and stood, placing her hands on her hips. "Well, how about I take over guard duty" she smiled back at him. "With my abilities, you won't have to worry about an attack."

Sasuke gave her a melancholy smile. "Thanks, Karin."

The following morning, Team Taka awoke to the sun streaming through the trees. It seemed like such a nice day despite the approaching darkness of their mission. 

"They're still in the same position. It looks like I found the Akai Hebi's hideout" Karin indicated, jumping down from the treetops.

"Right. Juugo, use the birds to give us intel on their exact location. Karin, continue monitoring their chakra signatures. Suigestu, you're with me. We'll attack after we've pinpointed their location. Be careful though, we know their specialty is in poisons." Sasuke directed them.

"On it," Juugo said, looking towards a flock of blue jays.

"Man, you are so bossy. It reminds me of the old days" Suigestu smirked. "So, what are we going to do?"

"We're going to approach them once Juugo gives the signal."

"Nice, it's been a long time since I busted some heads."

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Suigetsu. We need to be cautious and go unnoticed until the last possible moment."

"That's no fun" he complained.