Chapter 60

The Bridge

Sakura walked on top of a fallen log as the spring sunshine cut through the darkness of winter. Butterflies flew around her as she glanced up at the cherry blossoms surrounding her, in awe.

"So beautiful" she smiled, looking up towards the sun.

Sasuke on the other hand, held her hand closely, fearful of every step she took at this point. Don't fall, don't fall, don't fall, he pleaded desperately. Honestly, she's so reckless sometimes, just like Naruto. Still, even he had to admit that her words were true. 'So beautiful' was an understatement from his vantage point. She was stunning.

As she hopped off the log, Sasuke wrapped his arm around her protectively. "Never do that again" he insisted, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Why not? It's fun! I've got to do something with the month I have left. I know I can't go on any dangerous missions at this point, but I'm not totally helpless."

"That's not the issue. You're eight months pregnant! You should be resting! Honestly, Sakura." He pinched his brow.

"Aww come on, Sasuke. Lighten up" she smiled. "It's a beautiful day, let's enjoy it while we can."

Her smile overrode his cold and distant persona every time she looked his way. How did she make him defy all logic like that? He rolled his eyes and followed her reluctantly. She would be the death of him one of these days.

After walking for an hour or so, they came across the newly formed Tenchi Bridge.

"This brings back memories" Sakura looked down, clutching her Uchiha necklace. "That day...I wasn't strong enough."

Sasuke placed his hand on her shoulder consolingly. He'd heard the story before. Back when he was training with Orochimaru, the newly formed Team 7 went on a mission to gather intel and tried to rescue him. Naruto lost control of the nine tails due to Orochimaru's taunting and threats. The bridge and surrounding area were completely leveled. Even from this distance, he could see the crater from that day. Both...they both suffered and tried so hard to get him to return.

Seeing the look in Sakura's eyes now, guilt overwhelmed him. He placed his hand on her head and pulled her close. "I'm sorry, Sakura" he whispered.

She smiled softly. "W-we'd better get going," she pulled away and walked across the bridge.

Sasuke watched as she crossed over to the other side, his arm still outstretched towards her.  Even after all this time, he felt like he still couldn't reach her properly. She was still walking ahead of him, just out of reach. 

He thought back to the day they met again, shortly after the destruction of the Tenchi Bridge, the very bridge he was standing on now. He was so obsessed with revenge back then. His mind and body were twisted under Orochimaru's control. Every day he felt like he was caught in the snake's den, poison seeping into his veins. However, the moment he locked eyes with her...the moment he saw her face, more mature and refined, everything changed. He felt the red thread of fate wrapping around them slowly. He longed to run to her, wanting to walk beside her again...wanting to walk beside his friends again. He would have given up the world just to drop everything and return to the Leaf at that point. If he was honest though, Sai and Yamato gave him pause alongside his thirst for revenge. He felt so...jealous. It seemed like they'd moved on without him. Especially with Sai in the mix, he felt that perhaps he could take his place in Sakura's life. Maybe then she would be happy instead of being with someone worthless like himself. He cringed just thinking about it. He never would have hurt her on purpose back then, but still, he knew he'd caused her suffering even so. Nothing he could do would ever atone for those sins. Even so, he'd do everything in his power to show his dedication and loyalty to his one true love now.