Chapter 5

The Situation

The two awkwardly walked towards the Hokage's office. Neither was sure what to say since they hadn't been together in years. So much had happened in the past, it was hard to start over and leave some things behind. It felt like they could never connect and meet each other halfway...that is, until now.

"Come in" Kakashi called when they approached the door.

"Well, well, aren't you two closer than ever" he smiled.

"It's not like that" Sasuke commented. "I'm just here to help with the genjutsu situation. I'll be leaving afterward."

Sakura looked at him remorsefully. Did she have the wrong idea all along? Was he just going to toss her aside again? She wasn't sure how much more she could handle. It wasn't easy being in love with Sasuke.

Kakashi looked between the two, trying to decipher what was going on, then gave a slight cough. "Sakura, why don't you explain the mission?" he asked, with a gleam in his eye.

"Uh..." she blushed. How could she explain that the whole thing was made up now? All she wanted was for Sasuke to return for a little while. Now with this new comment, she wasn't sure what to do. 

"Why don't you take Sasuke to the hospital to see your 'patient'" Kakashi smiled.

Damn you, Kakashi, Sakura thought to herself. It was bad enough that it was all a lie, now he was going to find out the truth. She wasn't sure if she could stand to see Sasuke's disappointment. She hoped that this visit would bring them closer together not drive them further apart. 

"Let's go then," Sasuke said, turning around.

Sakura gave Kakashi a disapproving look before running after Sasuke. Kakashi smiled and waved as they left. "They'll have to acknowledge their feelings sooner or later" he sighed as the door closed behind them.