Chapter 62

*Apologies once again for the delay in this chapter (especially on a cliffhanger 😜). Covid-19 numbers spiked in my region, which made it difficult to stay on top of writing. Hopefully, it was worth the wait though! Enjoy and stay safe💕*

Chapter 62: Connecting Hearts

Sakura would never forget her daughter's first cries, which broke through the darkness of the Northern Hideout. Her pain dissipated as quickly as it started at that moment. The room seemed to be painted in a bright light as she met her child for the first time. She was so tiny and looked just like Sasuke with her dark hair and eyes. It was the happiest moment of her life, not to mention the wonder of seeing her husband so overcome with joy and emotion. It was a special moment for their tiny family. She could have stayed like that forever.

"Sakura?" a voice called, breaking through her moment of peace. Her world shattered like glass in an instant.

"Ino" she gasped, looking at the little girl before her. "It's you."

The blonde girl looked upset. "I heard you like Sasuke too. I guess that means we're rivals from now on" she sneered.

Sakura watched as her own words were turned against her. They hurt like a kunai to the heart.

"I hate people who lie to themselves" Naruto's voice emerged in her ear. His eyes glowered with spite and contempt for her entire being.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" she cried, kneeling down and placing her hands over her ears as the voices continued. Everyone she'd ever hurt seemed to taunt her.

"You're annoying" the last voice crushed her spirit completely.

"I'm so sorry" she whispered.

"Come back to me" the same voice whispered more gently. "I can't do this alone. I need you. I can't...I won't lose anyone else."

"Sasuke?" she looked up.

"I simply didn't want them to cut your hair" he stood casually, no more than six years old. He brushed a short strand of pink out of her face before running back down the cherry blossom path.

"Wait!" she cried. "Don't leave me all alone!"

"Sakura Haruno" a chilling voice called behind her.

She turned her head slowly to find a dark figure watching her steadily. "You? But how-?"

The man looked up towards the blue sky as pink petals rained down. His Sharingan gleamed in the spring sunlight. "Take care of my foolish little brother and my niece."

"I-Itachi...Uchiha?" She gasped. Her mind reeled. What was going on? How were all these figures from her past here?

"Take care of our family. Relight the flame of the Uchiha" two voices rang out behind him.

"I don't understand" Sakura gasped, looking between the three figures. There was a beautiful woman with long dark hair and the same eyes as Sasuke, as well as a tall man with brown hair and a stern expression that she recognized. Could they be... "Sasuke's parents? But how? Oh god, did I...I mean...how am I even seeing you right now?"

The woman chuckled and Itachi smiled slightly. "All in due time, dear" Mikoto sighed before looking down at her daughter-in-law warmly. "Welcome to the family, Sakura Uchiha. We know our son can be a handful, but please watch over him and our little granddaughter."

"Hn. That boy, he's been through quite a lot from what we've seen. Still, I hope our granddaughter can be spared the burden of the Mangekyou Sharingan at least" Fugaku commented.