Chapter 7

Genjutsu

Seeing Sakura's eyes roll back, he swiftly caught her and gently laid her on a nearby bench in the waiting area. He couldn't bear to see her look so weak and helpless. It reminded him of his troubled past and all of the times he'd hurt her. He caressed her beautiful face, wishing she would wake up and tell him she was fine with that big smile of hers. He had to do something for her...anything. Checking to make sure that the coast was clear, he crouched down and leaned over her pale face. His hair brushed her wide forehead, something he knew she was self-conscious about. She had come so far since they were kids; it really was incredible. Her determination, strength, and courage were just a few of the things he truly admired about her. He leaned in closer until he could feel her warm breath on his face. He knew that he couldn't hold back his love for her anymore. She was his home and the true reason he longed to return to the village after all this time. She was his everything. He closed the gap and kissed her soft lips as tears streamed down his face. It was the first time he'd cried out of joy rather than sadness.

A few minutes later, Sakura's eyes fluttered open. She saw Sasuke crouched next to her with his head in his hands. "Sasuke?" she groaned, her concern growing. She tried to sit up, wearily. "What happened?"

He looked into her tired eyes. Happiness welled inside of him, a relief that she was alright. "Sakura," he gasped, hugging her tightly.

Seeing his tears, Sakura pulled away. "Sasuke? What's wrong? Tell me, who hurt you?! It wasn't me was it?" A sense of worry came over her. If anyone else hurt him though, she would destroy them! Shannaro!

Sasuke laughed heartily. Sakura was shocked, she'd never heard him truly laugh out loud like that before.

"Um, are you okay?" she asked awkwardly.

"I'm fine" he chuckled. "I'm just happy to see that you're alright. Come on, let's go".

Suddenly she remembered why they were here in the first place and blushed sheepishly. "Sasuke, the mission with the genjutsu...I-" she stammered.

"Don't worry about it" he smirked. "I think you were the one placing the genjutsu on me all along".

Sakura turned red and was afraid she might pass out again. Was he actually flirting with her?! She didn't know quite how to feel. This was so embarrassing. Thank goodness no one was around.

Sasuke extended his hand and helped her up. He didn't let go though as they walked back out onto the street. "I want to show you something. A place I've always wanted to take you."