Chapter 39

*Some mature content in this chapter*

The Gift

Sasuke forged ahead with his wife by his side. He had a feeling she might want to join his side the morning he was supposed to leave. He couldn't help worrying that she was leaving so much behind for him though. He never intended to put her in that position. He thought about the silver bracelet, tucked away in his pack. He needed to consider more than just the fate of the Uchiha now, he had to think about his wife too.

"Sasuke? Are you okay?" Sakura asked as they continued through the Land of Fire.

"Yeah" he responded, bringing himself out of his thoughts.

"So...um...where are we going?" she fidgeted nervously.

"You'll see" Sasuke grinned, as they walked further ahead.

They spent the day hiking and talking here and there, although Sasuke wasn't much of a chatterbox.

By the time evening came, Sakura was exhausted. She trudged along behind her husband, trying not to complain. She was on a journey with him after all. Still, they'd been walking for six straight hours and the sun had just set. Eventually, she couldn't take it anymore. "Sasuke-" she started.

He held up his hand, making her more alert. Was it an enemy?

He walked a little farther ahead with Sakura cautiously following him, checking their surroundings. She couldn't sense the presence of any immediate danger. What was going on?

Pushing aside some branches, he smiled back at his wife, guiding her way.

Sakura stood, in shock. Off the path they were following, lay a luxury hot spring aglow with twinkling lights. Red and green leaves hung from wide branches, adorning the large inn.

"Sasuke, you...what is all this?" she gasped, unable to contain her surprise.

"It was a gift from Kakashi" he blushed slightly. "If you'd rather stay somewhere else, that's fine too. It doesn't have to be here." He looked down. Maybe he should have trusted his instincts, Kakashi didn't have a single clue what Sakura wanted it seemed.

"Are you kidding? This is perfect!" Sakura threw her arms around him, smiling brightly. "I can't believe you two thought of this! But, how did you know I'd go with you?"

"I didn't know for sure, but I had a hunch this morning when you left early. So, I made a reservation just in case. Now I'm glad I did" he sighed.

She smiled. "Thank you, Sasuke" she kissed him deeply underneath the starry sky before heading towards the bright light of the inn.

Inside was even better than Sakura could have imagined. The style was modern and luxurious with traditional Japanese styling throughout. Sakura admired all of the sights as she walked through the halls. She couldn't wait to enjoy a hot bath after a long day.

As the hostess showed them to their room, Sakura was stunned. Rose petals adorned the room and several candles were lit. What on earth...

Damn that Naruto, I bet he was behind this, Sasuke thought.

That Ino pig, I knew she was up to no good, Sakura considered.

The two turned to each other awkwardly, not sure what to make of the cheesy romantic scene. After a moment, however, they both burst into laughter. It was so ridiculous and each of them knew the other hadn't planned for this at all. The tension from the day seemed to lift along with their spirits.