Chapter 23

Revelation

"That didn't take long" a familiar voice crept up behind Sasuke's shoulder. "Thank you for choosing a more suitable location for our battle. This way I'll be able to take over the Hidden Leaf too."

"I won't let you destroy my home," Sasuke said coldly, turning his eyes on him.

"Ah yes, there it is...the Rinnegan. Why don't we try this again?" The figure jumped back with a kunai in hand.

"Who are you really? Show yourself!" Naruto demanded, trying to strike him down with Kurama's chakra.

The figure laughed. "I thought you would have guessed by now. My mother was so fond of your past lives...Ashura and Indra."

Sasuke and Naruto froze. There was no way it was possible. "Black Zetsu" they replied in unison.

"Very good," the figure said, throwing off his cloak. "After just four years, we will be able to carry out Mother's wishes once again!" He cackled. He looked the same as before, simply a dark shadow, drawing in nature energy.

"But how? I sealed you in Sasuke's Planetary Devastation. There's just no way!" Naruto exclaimed.

"You of all people should know things are never quite as they seem. I simply removed a part of myself and dove deep underground while my other half was sealed. It took a while to get back to full strength, but I think my new body is holding up quite nicely...with the help of a few White Zetsu of course."

"What about the Akai Hebi? Are they the same as the Akatsuki?" Sasuke demanded.

"Of course. Just like before, we will take over this shinobi world. Although, things went a little faster than I anticipated" Black Zetsu smirked.

"Well, it's not like you can use the Infinite Tsukuyomi again" Naruto pointed out, tightening his headband. "We'll defeat you just as we did before!"

Black Zetsu chuckled. "On the contrary, I think we will be able to achieve the same results quite soon." He glanced at Sasuke and attacked.

***

There was an explosion by the stone faces. Sakura hoped  Sasuke and Naruto would be alright as she looked ahead. She took a deep breath and refocused her chakra. There was no time to worry, especially if the whole village was soon to be incapacitated with the poison. The only thing she knew would work to keep the poison totally out of their systems was the Mitotic Regeneration Jutsu. As the strongest medical ninja in the Leaf, they had to do everything they could to protect their home.

"Let's go, Sakura!" Tsunade instructed, releasing the seal on her 100 Healings Jutsu.

Sakura did the same. It hadn't been long since she used it to heal her's and Sasuke's injuries, but there was no other option. She released the seal and brought forth the Mitotic Regeneration.

Tsunade and Sakura bit their thumbs and weaved hand signs, placing their palms on the ground. "Summoning Jutsu!" They both called.

A giant Katsuyu was summoned with double the strength that she'd usually have with one summons.

"Oh my, is the village under attack?" Katsuyu asked worriedly.

"Lady Katsuyu" Sakura began. "There is soon to be an undetectable poison that spreads across the village, please tend to every citizen."

"Right" she indicated, rapidly dividing below the two of them.

Tsunade and Sakura both focused their chakra and tended to the injured. Being in this state would leave them vulnerable to attack however, Sakura sensed Naruto's chakra nearby and knew that he'd find a way to handle the enemy if need be. They simply needed to focus on the task at hand and put all of their faith in him and Sasuke.

***

Naruto's clones raced through the village, locating his comrades, and making them aware of the situation. Everyone needed to work together in order to bring these guys down. A flash of recognition from his original spread through his mind as he discovered who was behind the Akai Hebi in the first place. He passed along the information to every shinobi he could find. He left Konohamaru and Iruka Sensei to evacuate the villagers as swiftly as possible. He didn't want to stir up a panic, but it was all they could do right now to survive.

"Naruto!" Shikamaru's voice spoke in his mind. "Where's Kakashi-Sensei?"

"He's helping my original and Sasuke at the Hokage Tower."

"And what about Sakura and Lady Tsunade?"

"They're at the hospital."

There was a pause and then Shikamaru spoke through Ino's Jutsu again. "Right, I understand the situation. In that case, Ino-Shika-Cho will provide backup to you and Kakashi. We'll also oversee operations and pass along any news to our comrades. Team 8, you'll guard Sakura and Lady Tsunade. Rock Lee and Tenten, you head over towards Sasuke's comrades at the front gate. Don't let anyone into or out of the village. Sai, fly overhead, and keep us posted on the status of each battle, providing assistance as necessary. Also, if this really is Black Zetsu's forces, we may need your Sealing Jutsu."

"Understood," several voices said at once.

Naruto ran ahead and jumped into the fray. With their comrades by their side, there was no way they would lose.

***

Suigetsu reformed as a kunai sliced through him. "Don't you know that won't work against me?"

The figure smirked and licked his blade. "We'll see about that."

Suigetsu froze, his vision going blurry. "No way, but I should be impervious to toxins? Wait, is this..."

"Sodium metal" the figure cackled.

"Argh!" Suigestu's body exploded.

"Suigestu!" Juugo called, struggling against his opponent. He looked over to see him unconscious on the ground. He'd have to wrap this up quickly.

His rage came forth and his curse mark reacted to his feelings of pain and hatred. He charged full force at the enemy, laughing wildly as he went.

The enemy twisted and swerved with moves almost like a dancer. They were fast, nimble, and flexible; all the things Juugo wasn't. He used his force to try and catch them off guard, itching to kill them, but they were too quick. The figure got up under his guard, pointing a kunai laced with a purple poison directly at his throat.

The chink of two kunai meeting brought Juugo back to his senses. He looked up to see a girl with a giant scroll preparing for another attack.

"Leaf Hurricane!" Another voice charged forth. The ground below him erupted as a green aura sprung into action.

"We heard you needed some backup" the girl smirked.

"Team Gai is at your service," Lee said giving Juugo the thumbs up and a blinding smile.