Charles X Reader - We Meet Again

hi if you're reading this rn thank you!! you are so loved and strong!! have a drink, a snack and take any medication you need to xx

i need to write way more :)

summary -
you and charles used to be in the gang together and were lovers. when the gang broke up, you did as well. you've started a new life but what will happen when you run into charles on the off chance.

You had never liked Rhodes. So how you ended up living in the middle of this dusty, miserable town was a mystery even to you.

When the infamous Van Der Linde gang had broken up, you had left everything you cared about. Your closest friends. The people that had become more like family. And Charles.

You had always been sweet on Charles, and when you found out the feelings were reciprocated, your relationship moved fast. He was the only man you had ever truly loved.

But when the gang fell apart, you had to split up and never see him again. That was seven years ago. You were completely over him. One hundred percent. Over it.

Now you were living in a small house on the outskirts of Rhodes under a fake name and a fake personality. F/N F/L/N. No one from the old gang would ever think of looking for you here, as you had always expressed the hatred for the place.

————————

It was the most normal Saturday night you could have asked for, at the Rhodes saloon. You hated saloons, so naturally, you decided to work at one. It was all part of your fake personality.

Serving up drinks wasn't too hard, it was the nights where the Lemoyne Raiders decided to cause trouble that made the work tiresome.

A bunch of them had started a fight at the bar that had gotten quite out of hand, and everyone ran out of the bar, leaving you and a couple of the farmhands from out of town to clean up the blood. You always left the bar in an irritable mood after having to deal with this kind of shit.

"Bunch of no good trouble makers that think the war is still present," you muttered under your breath, head down, pushing past a man in the doorway. You were in a rush, causing you to trip right over the mans foot and stumble down the stairs. "Fuck," you hissed, rushing to step up.

"I'm so sor-" You look up to see what made the man stop so suddenly. "Y/N?"

Your eyes blur, your heart pounds and your jaw drops. "Charles? I-It's good to see you. Wh-what are you doing here?"

"Just passing through," he said breathlessly. "I thought- I thought you were dead, Y/N."

You but your lip and your eyes welled with tears. You suddenly wrapped your arms around him, giving him a fast, tight hug. "I am so, so sorry, Charles Smith. I should have tried to find you and try and make things better." You released him from your embrace, staring into his eyes.

A smile broke out on his face, a grin that said much more than any words could. "The last thing you have to do is apologise. We all had our reasons to go our seperate ways. You needed to be safe. I understand your position completely," Charles placed a hand on your shoulder.

"Where have you been staying," you ask, walking down the road by his side.

"I stayed with John for a bit, down near Blackwater. Haven't really settled anywhere for long. You?"

"I've got a place, just down past the main road, a little way down there," you gesture. You heart is still thudding in your chest.

Never in your right mind did you think that tonight you would be running into Charles Smith, the man that had been at the back of your mind for years, the man you had never even dreamed of seeing again, the man you had loved so dearly. Fuck it, you still loved him and you were too afraid to admit it. But he was going to leave and it would be to late to ever see him again. "Tell him," said a voice in the back of your mind. Arthur's voice.

Arthur had always encouraged you to tell Charles that you were interested in him and had basically been the matchmaker for both of you and you had always been forever grateful for him doing that. You could tell him everything you felt now. But you just needed to take it slow. Invite him over for a drink of something.

"So, um, do you want to come over and have a drink or something? Uh, only if you want to, of cour-"

"I would love to, Y/N," he said softly, turning around to go in the direction of the way you had pointed.

You had a silent celebration behind him. "So, what are you doing in Rhodes anyway?"

He laughed and said ,"I could say the same to you, you always hated this place. No, I'm just passing through."

"Ha, yeah I guess I didn't really expect anyone to come looking here for me. Always hated Rhodes since Sean got shot up here," you shuddered. "Well, this is the place. It's not much but it does the trick."

The night went by in a blur. You had never had a more in depth conversation with somebody and it felt extremely refreshing. You talked about everything that happened with the gang , reminiscing over the gang members, talking of all the memories, happy and sad. You had missed having the kind of a connection with someone and just being able to have a flowing conversation over a drink. You had missed Charles.

The night had fallen into a comfortable silence. You knew what you had to tell him. You looked at him, sitting next to you, his dark eyes flickering in the light of the candle.

It came out in a whisper but it came out nonetheless.

"I love you, Charles." Your hands rushed to you mouth but were pushed away when Charles leaned over and gave you a powerful kiss. "I love you too. Do you think I can stay the night?"

"You don't even have to ask," you say breathlessly.

hehe i'm in love with charles ALSO THIS IS SO BAD FOR THE TIME IT TOOK I WROTE HEAPS ON MY LAPTOP BUT ITS GOT DELETED SO I HAD TO START AGAIN