John X Reader - Jealousy

hey guys this is a request! ive been wanting to write for john for so long but i just havent gotten round to it yet. i hope u all enjoy xxxx

(this story is written from the perspective of a female reader who uses she/her pronouns. change up anything you like in the story while reading to suit your own identity!)

warning - swearing, suggestive themes, angry drunk man

summary - you have always been jealous of john and abigail. john gets jealous when he sees you with someone else

————————————————————

"You coming into town, Y/N?" John called, patting the horse attached to an old cart. "I'm takin' the girls to scout out what this place has to promise. And Abigail, if she wants."

You feel a pang in your chest, hearing the name of the woman you had so often imagined you were. There was something about John Marston that intrigued you. He was quiet but funny, sarcastic but kind. And even though it felt strange and stupid, you couldn't help wish you were in her shoes.

You had joined the gang when John was about eighteen, and you had been the same age. It was often joked about that he was interested in you, but it had all changed when Abigail Roberts had come around.

"I'll join you guys," you answer, looking up from your book.

"Always reading something, Y/N," John laughed, looking at you "you're worse than Dutch."

"Impossible," you smiled, sliding a bookmark in between the pages, brushing off your skirt from where you sat in the shade of the trees surrounding Horseshoe Overlook, the latest hideaway of the Van Der Linde gang.

You hopped onto the back of the cart, greeting Tilly, Mary Beth and Karen.

You hear Uncle come and greet you and the others, saying something about how he's coming too, but you can't seem to take your eyes off John and Abigail talking to each other in what seemed like quite an animated conversation. "Well, why don't you then?" You heard Abigail shriek, before she grabbed Jack and marched into her tent.

"Sorry about that, ladies" John said roughly, clambering aboard and directing the horse towards the small town Valentine.

"Ladies, can we have some music?" Uncle suggested, and you couldn't help joining in as the girls broke into song, laughing as Karen messed up the lyrics.

You couldn't stop yourself from constantly glancing at John, who was talking to Uncle about horses and Valentine and Dutch. Your ears pricked up when you heard Abigail's name and started some innocent eavesdropping.

"You got the boy, John," Uncle said.

"Half the time I don't know if that boy is mine."

"Well, blood or not, he's yours now."

"I've always loved her, you know that, so what am I supposed to do?"

You felt your heart drop into your stomach. Your feelings for John were never going to work out with Abigail in the picture. It wasn't right to break that up, especially when he loved her so.

Further ahead, a man's wheel pops off his cart, causing a brief stop in the journey.

You watch as John immediately stops and assists him and something seems to stick out to you as you watch him finish with the helping of the man.

"Maybe if you ladies weren't here, I would have robbed him." He admits, then turns to you, nods and turns back awkwardly, coughing.

You blush, with Tilly raising her eyebrows at you, and try to forget about and just leave it. That was just a joke, you tell yourself.