Chapter 43 - Hopeless

The waters were enchanting and I kept moving. There was no light at all and no sound save for the small splashes made as I waded through the ever-deepening water.

But soon there was a light. Small dwindling light they caught my eye piercing through the thick black and giving me hope that I was still going in the right direction. It shifted across the rough surface of the cave walls and glittered changing colours from golds to blues like the sands and the sea.

I had no idea quite how long I had been walking for. I walked with my hands moving around me feeling for the sides of the cave and anything in my way occasionally the ceiling would lower and I would ha e to duck down under the sharp rocks. But then my hands reached a wall in front of me I traced it all the way round to the left and all the way back to the right.

My heart sank and I felt deflated. Maybe this wasn't where I was supposed to go after all. I sank down into the water sitting there for a moment clueless as to what I should do next. Perhaps Ngaio was right and I should have waited for her. Maybe I would be back with Jack already.

Instead, I was here in a cave in the dark. Completely and utterly useless.

"Why couldn't you just listen to your sister for once!" I splashed the water in frustration. But then I saw a light beneath the surface and light blue light glistening through the murky depths. I submerged myself entirely and found a gap in the floor. It was small and pressed against the end wall of the cave it was just wide enough for me to slip through.

Down and down I went the light growing brights and brighter. When I reached another pale rocky floor I glanced around. And was shocked by what I found.

I was surrounded by luscious green trees and golden sands. I waded through the water and pushed out to the surface. It was a large circular room the walls the same pale stone of the cave above. In the centre was the tall column of water that led back up to the surface. It was some sort of underwater forest hidden from the outside world by some sort of magic.

Observing the forest I noticed a gap in the tree line which opened into a long winding path. I followed it all the way walking between the trees until I came to a wide circle with a small pool in the middle as I neared it I saw the chest in the bottom. I forced the water to move the chest to the surface. It was golden and framed with wood. I opened the lid slowly revealing the contents of glowing blue gems of vetting sizes. Some were set in rings and necklaces, a few others were in weapons like the new sword I had.

I wouldn't be able to the carry this up and deal with the crew coming this way so I kept the chest where it was letting it sink down much more after grabbing a few more weapons. With them, the water manipulation was easier the water didn't rebel as much at being controlled.

I decided to take my stand in the mouth of the original cave and so made my way up there as fast as possible. When I reached the top of the hole I could see a few pairs of feet in the water illuminated by torchlight. I made the water shimmer and glow but its touch was far away from me.

I began to move the water whirling it around and enjoying the scared shouts that rang out from the men around.

"We shouldn't be here!"

"It's Calypso she's come for us!" One yelled and I saw a pair of boots take off in the others direction.

"Hold your ground!" Angelica yelled.

I leapt up drawing my sword and slashing the man nearest me before moving onto the next who had noticed my prescience but I had still taken them all by surprise. The next man charged swiping his sword from the right the clanging of metal filled the cavern as I blocked the strike returning my own over and over until I broke the pattern ducking under the blade and cutting the back of his leg causing it to buckle. I struck him with the hilt sending him down into the water. I.summined a wave behind me and pushed it forward sending everyone off their feet. I searched for Jack desperately through the water.

"Celie!"

"Jack!"

I waded through the water towards him, hauling him off the ground and hugging him tightly before the others regained their footing.

"It seems we find ourself in another life-threatening situation Luv," Jack said as we stood side by side looking the large group we had to face.

"Aye, it seems we do." I smiled handing him the dagger I had grabbed from the chest on my way up.

We stood opposed by a large group and I was already feeling drained from manipulating the water. I wasn't sure if this was a fight we could win especially when many of them pulled pistols.

Jack and I looked at each other worriedly. He grabbed my hand and I tried to move the water up again to shield us from the bullets. It was taking all my energy to keep the whirling vortex in front of us ensuring no one could get through.

"What do we do now?" I asked in a panicked strain staring at the water focussing everything I could on it.
"I don't know, Luv," He said with an unprecedented lack of enthusiasm. That only made me realise how dire the situation was. The only way to go was down but I didn't want to lead anyone else to the gems nor was I certain Jack could survive the trip down. Then if we did I was too tired to fight now. My muscles ached and shook as I kept the water wall up between us.

"I'm sorry Jack," I cried letting down the wall unable to keep it up any longer.

"It's alright Celie you did your best," Jack replied offering me a sad smile as we once again looked across at the enemy.

Angelica opened her mouth to speak but was silenced by a sword at her throat. Once I saw Ngaio's grinning face behind hope sparked once more. We were safe.

"Tell them to lower their guns," Ngaio ordered through gritted teeth.

"Or what you'll stab me? I doubt it," Angelica spat.

"Don't test me," She growled back pressing the blade further into Angelica's neck and I smiled when I saw the flash of fear in her eyes.

"Do as she says," She conceded.

The men lowered their guns and out then back in their holsters.

I held onto Jack weakened but still conscious for the most part. Unable to focus on much but the fact Jack was holding onto me and Ngaio with Angelica. That small amount of fear I had seen was gone replaced by a look of desire. Angelica tore herself suddenly from Ngaio's gripped drawing her own weapon and firing.

I hit the side of the cave with a thud staring at Jack in horror as blood seeped into the water.