Chapter 38 - Goodbye Angelica

"Captain Teach, she's dying you must save your daughter." Jack urged the man who lay dying on the floor next to his daughter.

"This one takes life, this one has the tear and gives life?" He clarified.

"Aye," I said from my standing position behind Jack. I was half curious as to what he would do.

He snatched the dented chalice without second thought downing the small amount of liquid it contained. My eyes widened slightly at his choice but I was more What was worse than the action itself was Angelica's face?

She had been more than willing, it seemed, to die for her father but the fact that he didn't care enough about her to let her live crushed her. I knew that all too well. The realisation that the only family you have or think you have doesn't give a damn whether you live or die. It sucks, to say the least.

"Angelica, save me, my child." His hand gestured weakly to the cup a hopeful yet knowing look in his eye.

"Angelica don't."

Before Jack had even finished his sentence, Angelica had taken the chalice and drank from it. I was surprised. Despite knowing how little Blackbeard care for her she still did it. When my father asked for help I kicked overboard. Still my fondest memory of him.

I sighed and helped Jack to his feet. Angelica had made her decision and it couldn't be undone.

"Come on Jackie, there's nothing else we can do," I said sadly. I took Jack's hand in mine as we walked away. Then I felt a tug.

"Wait a minute." The pirate turned around. In fact, it might have been the other way around." He let go of my hand and I held back a laugh. Typical Jack.

"This one had the tear, this one had the other bit."

"You got them mixed Jack." I laughed. Though I had to question whether he had done it on purpose or not.

"Trickster! Devil!"

"You bastard how could you?"

"Your father has saved you perhaps now his soul may be redeemed," Jack replied quite seriously. Not feeling much guilt in letting Blackbeard die instead of Angelica.

"Yeah, I highly doubt that. That's like saying my father could be redeemed," I added. I could sense the water bubbling up and soon it burst through the rock formations swirling around the damned man avoiding Jack and me completely.

We all watched as within the swirling torrent of water Blackbeard broke down. First the clothes, then his skin only his bones remained as he reached out beyond the water. Then nothing.

Angelica had tears in her eyes.

"You bastard! You killed him!" Angelica advanced on Jack going for her sword.

"Not so fast." I put my own sword to her throat stopping her in her attack.

"You! You were supposed to be helping us!" She snapped glaring at me.

"Hate me all you want I'm not too fussed," I replied meeting her glare with my own.

Jack gathered some rope left behind by the Spanish and used it to bind Angelica's hands.

"Got a plan, Jackie?" I asked with a smile briefly moving my eyes away from Angelica who was still fixed in place by my sword which was easing just enough into the skin of her neck that it would cut her if she moved.

"Of course Luv." He grinned.

I sat with Jack opposite Angelica in the small boat she had been glaring at us for the whole journey. The sky was bright and the waves were calm as we rowed across to a nearby island.