Chapter 1- The Usual

I stepped onto the deck of the Flying Dutchman.

My home.

I have been on this ship for most of my life sailing the seven seas. I love it. The wind blew my hair back as I walked across the deck. I admired the tattoo on my forearm the ink showing no sign of fading even though I had had it for as long as I could remember. It was of the Dutchman on the sea but it moved the sails on it blew in the wind with the actual sails of the ship and it went under the water when we dived under. The crew were at work but I had the day off. I know to most the crew of this ship must be frightening to most with the various sea creatures and shells glued to them with no sign of letting go but I grew up around them they do not scare me in the slightest.

I walked across the deck to the bow of the ship and looked over the water which lapped roughly at the sides of the ship. The Flying Dutchman was a beautiful ship even if it was a bit old and ragged with moss coating the sails and the deck in various places.

The stars shone brightly in the sky trying to peek through the thick cloud above and only just managing, all was peaceful which doesn't happen often when you're the daughter of Davy Jones. I fiddled with the locket around my neck and looked out over the sea but it was so dark it was really difficult to see anything at all. That's when the cannon fire began.

The moon crept through the thick clouds and aluminated the grand Royal Navy ship that was attacking us. My father exited his quarters and started booming commands at the crew. I rushed and grabbed the nearest gun and powder and returned fire to the other ship. I stood up carefully on the starboard side of the ship to get a better shot when a cannonball hit right under my feet sending splinters of wood flying through the air and  I fell overboard. I shouted for my father to help me when I heard someone call for the ship to dive. Davy Jones peered over the side of the ship to see me, his only daughter, and just walked away ignoring my pleas.

I woke up in my bed and bolted upright and wiped away the single salty tear that had fallen in my sleep. I have had that dream so many times in the past six years. I miss the sea and the freedom that comes with it. I have been stuck on land for so long now.

The governor took me after the damn navy ship rescued me and took me back to port royal. For that I am grateful but all he and others have done for the past years is try to make me more ladylike and proper. They have failed miserably in their attempts. I am a pirate through and through and always will be, although I don't tell them that, and I don't intend on changing my ways any time soon.

Besides, it's not like I don't dress presentably but it's just not what they want me to look like. I got out of bed after determining I won't be getting any more sleep and opened the curtains the sun was already in the sky and light flooded the room. I stood by the window for a little while admiring the sea and playing with my locket. It was very similar to the one my father has.  I heard a knock at the door.

"Celeste are you awake?" It was Elizabeth. She was one of the only two friends I had on this rock. The other being Will Turner the Blacksmith. I was still only in nightclothes but I opened the door to Elizabeth who ran in through the door and shut it behind her.

"What's up with you?" I asked.

"Captain Norrington is here and I can't be bothered to speak to him today. Father keeps inviting him round and I am in need of a break from his company," she explained.

"So you have come here to hide, not because you wanted to see me?" I teased. She laughed
"You know I always enjoy your company," she said and I walk over behind the screen to get changed into my usual attire. Which consisted of a white shirt, some relatively tight black trousers, with a belt, brown boots and a long coat depending on the weather. Usually, I would have a sword but the governor has said I am not allowed to have one and took it off me and gave it to Will. Who gave it back to me once we were friends. I took two small daggers out of my bedside table and put them inside my boots in a small space designed to keep them. I hated not having weapons on me so I found ways to hide them.

"So are you going to hide in my room all day?" I asked stepping back out to see Elizabeth lying on my bed.

"As much as I'd like to I don't think I will Father will have something he wants me to do today I'm sure. But I will be staying here until the Captain leaves," Elizabeth answered.

"How on Earth are you are always so formal, I don't think I have ever referred to him as Captain."

"Well clearly I have failed in teaching you proper manners," She said half serious half-jokingly.

"Oh no, you have I just simply like to see the agitated look on his face when I don't call him Captain," I replied and she rolled her eyes at me. Then there was another knock at the door.

"Hide," I whispered to Liz who was already running over to the changing screen. Once she was hidden I answered the door.

"Celeste," he greeted coldly. "Norrington," I greeted just as cold and as always a look of disgust passed over his features briefly as I didn't call him by his proper title. Which I smirked in satisfaction at just as I did every time.

"Have you seen Miss Elizabeth today?"

"Sorry I can't say I have," I replied after pretending to think for a second or two.
"Very well good day," he said before walking off and I closed the door. Elizabeth popped out from her hiding place.

"Now, you can stay in here for as long as you need I am going to do some work down at the blacksmiths with Will I will be back later."

After saying goodbye I left the room and made my way to the blacksmiths as per usual I got a lot of disgusted or judgemental glances from many people for what I was wearing but I could care less.

Finally, I got to the blacksmiths and worked on making swords and other weapons with Will for the rest of the day. We also practised for a time with the weapons we had made. It was something Will and I had been doing for years now. Although no one knew apart from Elizabeth if anyone else did I would lose the only thing that was interesting in my life and the only thing that reminded me of my time at sea.

Nothing interesting really happens at port royal that's why Elizabeth and I spent so many years reading about Pirates and their stories. It was way more interesting than anything else. Soon I bid farewell to Will and went back to the governor's house.

I walked past the kitchen and stole some food and went back to my room I wasn't up for being criticised by the governor today. I know he may mean well but I am fed up of it all. I went back to my room ate and then went to bed. The morning was almost the same as it was every day. I woke up after having the same dream as always but there was a knock at the door before I even managed to open the curtains.

"Come in," I called knowing it was likely one of the maids. She came in holding a large dress and I grimaced at the site.

"Your Fath-," The maid began.

"He is not my father," I corrected.

"Begging your pardon Miss," she said.

"It's quite alright, officially I suppose I am his daughter but I'm not really," I replied.

"Anyhow, the governor has asked you wear this today," the maid said getting back on track.

"Why would I need to wear such a thing, it's not as if it's a special occ-," I sighed heavily once I realised, "Norrington's promotion is today?" I  asked the maid nodded.

"I did hope that I would not have to attend. Please could you tell the governor that I shall not be wearing a dress today or ever. If he still wishes for me to attend after that then I will if I must," the maid nodded and left the room. A few moments later Elizabeth entered in her new dress.

"Well don't you look lovely," I commented.

"It is a lovely dress but it is rather hard to breath in," Elizabeth replied.

"And that dear Lizzy is one of the many reasons why I don't wear dresses," I went and got changed into my usual clothes only this time tying a bandana around my hair to keep it out of the way.

"Right I am ready to go if I must."

"Yes you must attend and I would prefer you to dress properly, "The governor commented.

"Well if you want me to go this is the best you're going to get," I replied gesturing to my clothing. He sighed but then said we should go. We saw Will on our way out and he looked completely in love with Elizabeth as always. We headed out of the door of the house. This was going to be a long boring day.