Chapter 35 - How's the improvising going?

I crawled quickly around one side of the table unnoticed by the idiot who was far too absorbed in polishing the chalices. Jack pounced above the table and snatched one off the table which caused the Spaniard much confusion which I only added to once he had looked away. Jack and I both had a chalice each when Barbossa decided to help out and knocked the man out with a sharp jab to the head with his crutch.

"Now what?" Barbossa questioned a little agitated as I handed Jack the other chalice after examining it for a brief moment.

"Well stroll out if here slow and steady," Jack answered.

"Just like we belong," I added in a whispered tone.

We didn't have a particularly long stroll before we can across a guard in all his uniform. We passed each other without a word but there was a collective silent realisation of the fight which was about to occur.

I looked at Jack and Barbossa and saw the same expression. We drew our swords in unison the sound of sharpened metal against a sheath rung out as we did.

My sword collided with the barrel of the gun which had been held up in defence and then was swung in my direction in attack. I ducked under it and kicked the soldier backwards as two of his friends appeared from the darkness in a chorus of crunching leaves and snapping twigs. I spun around to strike the next enemy.

It didn't take long for all the soldiers to be taken down and once again we sheathed our swords. This time we ditched the stroll figuring that running was a far better plan at this point. Running into the line of sight about two dozen Spanish soldiers when they're brandishing two dozen muskets and hearing a chain of clicks of cocking guns was not so much of a great plan if I do say so myself.

We put our hands up in surrender and I saw Barbossa send Jack and me a glare out of the corner of my eye. As much as I hated being tied up and captured, in my experience I never stayed like that for too long especially when I was with Jack.

Although, I did seem to get captured and tied up a lot more since I had met him. They moved us over to three palm trees. I could hear the leaves above ruling lightly in the small breeze that swept around us as we walked towards the tall towering tree. Some men returned with rope to bind us and they did just so rather tightly in my case. My back was slightly rounded again the rough bark and my hands were bound in front of me. That was a mistake.

"How's your escape route going?" Jack questioned.

"Here's your time to improvise," Barbossa threw back.

"Our improvising got us further than your bloody escape route," I added rolling my eyes and starting to try and get my hands free. I was interrupted by the sounds of cogs clicking.

Barbossa removed his peg leg and then plucked the cork from it with his teeth.
"That better be what I think it is."

The prospect of rum had stopped my escape attempts for now as Barbossa brought the leg to his lips. Jack looked at it in awe.

"I want one of those."

"It is cool but I must say I quite enjoy not have a leg made of wood," I added as Barbossa handed the leg very carefully to Jack.

"Here's to revenge sweet and clear," he lifted the leg and to a large gulp.

"Revenge?"

Even I didn't know what Jack meant with that.
"Come come, Hector, if you wanted the chalice you would have seen they were missing and gone," Jack said. Then it hit me.

"You were lying in wait for Blackbeard," I spoke up.

"Aye Luv he was. King George, Privateer wig. All a cheap facade. I don't buy it."

"I must say I don't either. Why would anyone want to wear that bloody wig by choice?"

You weren't there that night neither of ya," Barbossa said as his leg was handed back to him.

"When the Pearl was lost?"

"Taken not lost," Barbossa corrected before going to tell of what had happened that fateful night with the Pearl and how he lost his leg. At the end of the tale, I felt anger bubble in me. I knew I was no saint but taking another ship with no cause or reason and to offer no Parle was far worse than any pirate.

In all honesty, Blackbeard would get along quite well with my father and I would be more than happy to send that man to wherever the hell it was my father now dwelt. Might even be in hell but who really knows since he was an immortal with the face of an octopus.

"So... you're not after the fountain?"

The question Jack posed served two purposes. One was to find what Barbossa's true intentions were and the second was whether we could cross Barbossa of the list of people who wanted the fountain and all its life-giving qualities.

"I care not for King George or Tavern yarns that give me hope for a healed limb. But I'd give me left arm for a chance at Blackbeard," he replied with anger lacing every word. I had no doubt if Barbossa ever got the chance he would kill Blackbeard. Which would all rather work in mine and Jack's favour. If he could take out Blackbeard for us the fountain was ours for the taking.

"Not your right?" I asked laughing a little at my own joke which received the rather serious reply of "I need me good arm to drive my poisoned blade through his heart." Clearly, he was not in a joking mood this night.

"I'll see you get the chance mate," Jack smirked moving his hands around. They were no longer bound which confused Barbossa and me. Although I shouldn't be surprised Jack could be slippery when he wanted to.

"Well done Jackie," I said beginning to try and get out of my own bonds once more becoming irritated by the course rope pressing into my bare skin.

Jack grunted as he pushed himself to his feet with his torso still tied tightly to the tree. Then he started to climb further up.

"Well this should be interesting," I muttered looking up at Jack's receding figure through the darkness,

"Aye Celeste that it will."