Chapter 44 - Quest Complete

"Jack!" I cried struggling to my feet. My heart and head were pounding and I was beginning to feel faint. Still, I pushed my way over to him but didn't make it. Arms wrapped around my torso hauling me to my feet.

"Stop let me go!" I thrashed weakly in protest.

"Take him back to the ship now!" Ngaio commanded not letting me. "As fast as you can if he dies there will be hell to pay!"

The crew nodded and a few left with Jack moving swiftly across the water and out into the sun.

"Come on Cel. He'll be alright," Ngaio assured helping me walk out of the cavern. Angelica and her crew members were tied up and guarded by the crew of the Dutchman who was pushing them onward back towards the Dutchman.

"Don't make promises you can't keep," I replied trying my best to stay awake but the darkness was calling me and slowly I found myself passing out just as we left the cave.

I awoke in a bed feeling the soft sheets under my palms. There was a moment of calm before it all came flooding back to me. I bolted upright and leapt from the bed. I scanned the room and found it empty so I headed for the doors.

Throwing myself through them I startled some of the crew.

"Auntie Cel you're awake the twins cried rushing to me," I hugged them briefly.

"Where's Jack?" I asked hurriedly panic growing with every passing second.

They both grabbed my hands and began to drag me through the ship to the other living quarters when Jack and I had stayed the first night. He lay still and silent in the bed.

I froze. I feared the worst but moving any closer could confirm my worst fears.
"Not again, please, not again," I whispered finally pushing myself to cross the room to his side with tears filling my eyes. I noticed Atlas and Storm leave the small room but I was too overwhelmed to ask why.

"You're not allowed to leave me." I grabbed his hand tightly.

"Huh, hell can't be as bad as I thought if you're here," Jack muttered.

I threw my arms around him as best I could.
"You're not dead yet Jackie and you're not gonna be anytime soon," I declared between tears.

I felt his arms wrap slowly around me the movements likely hurting.
"Glad to hear it Luv."

"Now don't you dare go risking your life like that for me ever again!" I ordered clutching him tightly.

He chuckled.

"You've saved my life more timed than I can count Celie. Bout time I repaid it," He answered. We remained there for a while curled up with each other when there was a small cough.

I peered up from Jack's shoulder to see Will, Ngaio and the twins in the doorway.

"I'm glad to see you're both awake." Ngaio smiled.

"I'm glad you kept your promise," I smiled but still not moving away from Jack.

"You were out for four days both of you. We were beginning to worry whether you would take at all," Will added.

Soon we were all up and talking the mood free merrier quite quickly. Though still, unfortunately, there was no rum to be seen.
We were all gathered in the small bedroom which was down in the hull separated from the rest of the crews quarters.

I sat on the best with Jack both still under the covers of the bed unwilling to move from our position. I had Storm and Atlas at my other side. It turns out they had both been worried about Jack and me too.

"What's happened to the prisoners?" I questioned. It hung in the air for a while before Will answered.

"They're in the brig for now but were not certain what to do with them. One thought had been playing on our minds for if the worst happened to you both but now we're uncertain."

"Well, I say they can rot there for a day or two more," Jack declared. "I say we head back and find the treasure we came for in the first place."

"Aye," The twins cheered. I smiled at their enthusiasm the mischievous glints in their eyes reminded me of Ngaio and myself.

"Oi, why do I have to stay behind with old rumless here," Jack complained.

"Because you were shot Jack that's why," I explained for the thousandth time. I shoved him back into the bed.
"Now that's only fun if you're staying with me."

"I'll be back soon Jackie," I kissed him quickly before leaving the room heading to Ngaio and the bundles of excitement.

It didn't take us long to return to the cavern of pale stone but this time the journey was far more enjoyable and free of worry for the most part.
"So where do we go from here?" Ngaio questioned uncertainly as she stared at the darkness.

"Oh, you'll see," I grinned grabbing her hand. We formed a chain between us me at the head leading them into the endless black them towards the small glimmering light which pulled cheers of surprise from my family.

"Where now?" Atlas asked as he and Storm jumped up and down with excitement splashing the cool water about.

"Down," I relinquished myself from my twin's firm grip and stepped down into the small hole letting myself become enveloped and sink down much to the surprise of everyone else present.

Nevertheless, they followed me down with breaking for air not being an issue given the blessing of being a child of Calypso.

"This place is like nothing I've ever seen," Ngaio said in awe spinning around taking in the swarm of thick lush green trees.

"Come on this isn't even the best part," I called to my niece and nephew who came charging through down the path I was heading down.

"Come on Mum!" The twins called as Ngaio continued to saunter coolly over.

"Come on Gaia, we can't let them beat us," I challenged. We took off after the twins catching up with them quickly as the stone ringed pool came into view. It was a close race, in the end, no one quite knowing who had won in the end but all of us were out of breath and laughing.

Once the chest was open everyone gazed in awe.

"Cool!" The twins cheered.

Whilst the twins went through the contents on the chest I pulled Ngaio back.

"Are you thinking what im thinking?" She asked.

"Aye, probably. We can't take all this with us. I think we can afford to take a few things. Something for you and the twins and maybe Will and Jack but if these gems have the power that Angelica claimed they do and that I think is true then we cannot allow them to da into the wrong hands," I said.

"Right, Atlas, Storm, you can pick two things," Ngaio said with such a parental tone it almost scared me

The twins obeyed each picking a sword which they struggled to carry and a piece of jewellery. Storm picked out a golden necklace with a blue swirling gem set in the centre of the pendant and Atlas picked out an almost identical one to match his sister. Ngaio and I did much the same though I didn't take any weapons for Jack and I already had one each. With that, the chest was buried once more and we headed back to The Flying Dutchman.