The future

"One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be someone else's survival guide".
Brene Brown

I had though my diabetes was perhaps not under control but it turns out I'm four weeks pregnant. I squeeze Diego's hand and smile we were being blessed with another child. I would be lying if I said as a diabetic I wasn't scared about this pregnancy. The doctors assured me everything should be okay and my insulin may need to be adjusted at different times. We pull up to the palace and Diego helps me out the car. We decide to not mention the pregnancy and instead let William and Ava have their wedding day be all about them.

"Darling are you okay?"

"Yes I'm just taking it all in my little brother will be a married man from today".

"You never have to wonder if those you left behind are lonely now".

He was right of course both dad and William after today will have wives and hopefully children.

Laila and I were bridesmaids it was important to my brother I did this for Eva so I did. Who cares if I'm a Crown Princess walking behind for now a commoner. Our bridesmaids dresses were white satin and very elegant. The bride wore a Danish designer's dress consisting of a satin material done in a boatneck style . Eva looks beautiful with her hair in a elegant chiffon bun.

I walked into the church behind the bride and did my best to look forward in front of me and not at the crowd. I saw people I hadn't seen in years. I take Eva's bouquet from her while several of her other bridesmaids fix her long train as she stands in front of the bishop with my brother.

After helping the smaller bridesmaids including my cousin into their seats. I found my seat next to Diego and the ceremony began. My mind started to drift on them. Then I stop it before it could go further. When William and Ava were pronounced man and wife I cried. Diego gave me his handkerchief and I used it to wipe my eyes. I gave Eva her bouquet when the ceremony was over.

"Here you go your highness".

She smiles and opens her mouth and make an o sound. As if realisations just dawned on her she's a princess now.

As I follow the bride and groom out the cathedral and I see Oscar, Theo and Susan. I was glad to see Oscar was clean and sober still. I knew he wouldn't have been invited to the wedding if he was not.

At the reception I was sat at the table with dad and his new wife Maria and Laila and Diego.

"May I present their Royal Highnesses Princess Eva of Denmark and Prince William of Denmark", says the master of ceremonies.

I'm reminded of another wedding and a conversation and smile sadly. Williams current title suited him perfectly. We ate and dance and I gave a toast welcoming Ava to the family.

"Your royal highness", I turn at the sound of the voice.

"Oscar how are you? It's been years since I have seen you."

"I'm good and I got married last year my Elena isn't here because she's pregnant and on bed rest at the moment".

"I happy you got married and hope your wife gets well soon".

"Thank you I know you want to ask if I'm still sober and yes I'm. In fact your idea years ago about wanting to make rehab an affordable place gave me an idea. I studied psychology at University and I now work for your charity as a counsellor in the rehab you set up. That's where I met my wife she was a doctor there not a patient".

I hold my hand out to him, "I'm glad you got your happy ever after truly I'm".

Diego comes and stands by my side and Oscar bows to him, "Your Royal Highness I was just speaking to your wife. I'm an old friend of hers".