New Beginings

The best is yet to come".
                                               -Frank Sinatra

Now that I'm engage I will be leaving Denmark to move to Sardinia as soon as possible. Most of my clothes and furniture has already been sent there. I have only a week left in Denmark it's somewhat bittersweet I went from hating my life here to loving myself. I went to see my dad and my siblings two days after the engagement party. It was then reality really hit me in the worse way possible. This time next year I'll have been married for six months and it could be years before I set foot in Denmark again.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much but you have each other to lean on. We have become such a close knit family the last couple of years. I'll look forward to getting the FaceTime calls from you guys". I start crying as I do my best to remember everything about my last day with my family.

"I get to walk you down the aisle Victoria and you know you've really become the woman I although knew you would be. I'm so proud of you Vic. I'm sorry for letting you down with your mother", says my father sadly.

"I could've opened my mouth and say something was wrong".

"You lived in fear sis".

"William please don't, let's not talk about that women. This moment is about us as a family as we are now. I can't believe I'm getting married to the love of my life".

"He's a good man".

"I know dad he really is".

"I'm going to miss you all so much I loved our sleepovers Emma".

"I'm sorry we only started acting like proper sisters after you came out of rehab".

"We have great memories that's all that matters. We will definitely see each other again before the wedding when you come over to Sardinia".

We all say our goodbyes and I take my leave. Later that night as I lay in bed it hit me I only had four days left in Denmark. I expected my sister to be the one to become a Crown Princess not me. I never though I had a meaningful future of any kind. If I was being real truthful there were times I went to bed and hoped I didn't wake up. Now I'm excited to walk down the aisle to my husband to be and to give birth to our first child. For someone who had to be the centre of attention for so long. I don't mind walking behind Diego for the rest of my life. I gave Debbie and Antonio a picture I painted of their family to say thank you for everything.

I'm going someplace I know the name of all the staff working there. I even know who's married, expecting a baby or lost a love one. I can't believe I use to think the help was not even worth thinking of as human beings because of their minimal job. What an idiot I was and how egotistical of me.

Saying goodbye to my grandfather and the king was hard. Antonio has been such a great mentor it helps he literally had the experience of moving to a brand new country for love. Saying goodbye to him and Debbie and my little cousins was so difficult. I owed them so much and Debbie was now like a sister to me. We took comfort in the fact that we will see each other again after the wedding at different events for royalty around the world.

My last day in Denmark I went to all my favourite places one last time. When the plane doors closed I bid Denmark farewell in my mind. When I land in Sardinia,  Diego's private secretary was there to greet me. When I see some of my staff waiting for me to depart the plane first. I had a big realisation this is my first time setting foot in my new home as a future queen not a girlfriend.