The Truth

I lie to myself all the time but I never believe me.
-S. E. Hinton

Have you ever felt like life was laughing at you I think it's been laughing at me my whole life. My name is Princess Victoria of Denmark. I'm the middle child of the second son of the king of Denmark. I'm 5'8 with blonde hair and blue eyes. I'm rightly envied by a lot of people in my social circle because of my HRH status.

I was sat in the car on my way back to the palace after performing two engagements. I check my Instagram to see the picture posted of me looking cute in my red Chanel dress and black red buttons had over half a million likes.

In my nineteen years on this planet I've learned being liked is the most important thing in life. My mother likes my older sister and younger brother more than me.

You see I'm dyslexic don't get me wrong I can read and write. Times have moved on from when schools didn't help people like me. I'm super smart and one day I hope to go to university and further my education but at the moment that's not feasible(see I know big words).

The Crown comes first it always comes first. My grandfather is king which means my family is a big deal. Well not exactly my Uncle Alexsander is the heir to the throne but he has no family. My sister, mother and I are the most important women in the monarchy.

I arrive home and a footman bows and opens the front door for me after greeting me. Someone once ask me if it's weird that people bow to me all the time. I didn't really understand their question being bowed or curtsied to is all I know especially at court everything is so rigid there. I've been doing royal engagements for a year and not everyone will bow or curtsy to me when I'm on one that I meet.

From I was eight years old I was following my parents on engagements so I could learn the ropes so to speak. I arrive at my apartment and ring the kitchen to make me some lasagna for dinner. I tell them to send up some tea and biscuits straight away though.

I undress and take a shower before changing into sweatpants and a Chanel t-shirt. I hear a knock on the door, "Come in", I call out. One of the servants bring in a trolley with a selection of goodies including cake. I text my sister saying let's do something this weekend and she texts me back sure.

I look around my apartment as I eat. I have a three bedroom apartment with five living rooms. My family lives in a castle but not the main one in Copenhagen. That was reserved for the ruling monarch the lesser royals had rooms or houses around Copenhagen.

Right now technically I would be considered a lesser royal but since my family is needed to do royal engagements. We're somewhat important since my uncle has no children. My family has been important in helping to keep the monarchy going. If the heir dies my father becomes the next heir.

I've a private secretary who coordinates my day and helps plan my engagements. Then there's my assistant Lucy and my bodyguards. I know what you're thinking shouldn't she should have more help than this. Not when you're not an important royal. My father is and he has about twenty people working in his office for him because he is the son of the king.

I call my friend Lord Oscar and ask him to come over. I get my iPad out and continue writing a story I'm working on about a girl who's a princess but wishes she wasn't.

When Oscar arrives he bows then hugs me. Oscar was good looking and tall with piercings green eyes. We met at school when we were four years old.  As we got older and he understood his looks could get him girls. He became a man-whore and began bullying me at school with his new friends.

You maybe wondering why I would stay friends with someone who had bully me. The truth is he understands what it's like to be the lesser sibling. His brother is heir to his family's dukedom. I've no doubt my sister will marry rich or titled and my brother when he marries will make someone a princess. When my father dies my younger brother will inherit his dukedom.

Who would want me the frivolous princess whose only interested in clothes and her looks. When the press talk about my sister they praise her work ethic and her dedication to the crown. I've never seen an article about myself where it wasn't mentioned I was Emily's whoops. I mean Emma's younger sister.

The other reason I hang around Oscar is he knows my secret I take cocaine every now and then. Sometimes he supplies it to me. Mum use to give me "diet" pills when I hit puberty to keep my weight down. I found out it was actually speed she was giving me years later. I don't take drugs often only once in a while. Oscar caught me doing cocaine but luckily for me it turns out he has a serious drug habit as well. He's been to rehab twice now.

"So Victoria do you need a little pick me up?"

"Gosh no I just need a friend".

"It's that what your siblings are for?'

"Tell me how do you get on with yours?" Oscar gives me a scathing look.

"At least you still have a title Lord Oscar".

"It seems we both have titles we can't pass on".

That hurt me deeply he knew how much it hurts me to be the invisible one in my family.

"I think you should leave.  I just wanted to watch some tv and have a laugh and a joke with my friend".

I watch him leave then I break down when he does. I don't have any friends I mean I do but not any real friends. What the hell am I doing with people who don't lift me up. Before Oscar leaves he drops something on the sofa I see it's some coke. I pick it up and take it to my room and put it in my night stand. The rest of the night was spent eating my lasagna and watching a movie by myself.

The next morning I'm woken up early by my mother of all people. "Hurry your uncle and grandfather wants to see us. I think today is when your grandfather officially makes your father your uncle's heir".

Mum starts opening drawers and pulling out clothes. She stops and I see the bag of coke in her hands. "You foolish girl as any of the servants been in your room today?"

"How would I know I was asleep before you woke me up remember".

"Don't get smart with me you're ruing your father's reputation before he gets a chance to be a crown prince. Servants talk Victoria if this get back to the king they will drug test you".

"I didn't take any I swear,  Oscar bought it over yesterday and I kicked him out because of it".

"Good I'm going to flush this down the toilet and keep the packet then dump it somewhere else where it can't be traced back to you".

Mum has breakfast in the living room while I shower, brush my teeth and get dressed.