The Sentence

"Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often it's the place where we find the deepest heartache".
         -Iyania Vanzant

We walk around the gardens enjoying the flowers.

"What do you think of Ava?"

"She seems nice".

"Yeah I think so too and she's an accountant which means she's very smart. My brother needs someone looking out for him who's on his side".

I hesitate unsure how to begin the next sentence. I reach out and pick a red rose bringing it up to my nose and inhaling the wonderful aroma.

As if sensing my unease Leila rubs my arm,"Talk to me".

"You didn't have a thing for William did you?"

She throws her head back and laughs and I let out the breath I was holding. I was glad that she clearly didn't.

"In the few times I've spoken to William I can honestly say I never developed a crush on him. If I did after seeing the looks passing between him and Eva. I know I don't stand a chance".

"Your happiness will come you know you'll find that guy that makes your breath hitch the first time you see him".

She hugs me, "I really hope so for now I'm happy being an auntie."

A butler walks towards us, "Their majesties as requested both your presence in the drawing room".

Laila and I follow him to the drawing room and take a seat when the door is closed behind us Roberto begins.

"I've spoken to the judges and nothing but the death penalty will do. Plotting to kill a member of the royal family is bad enough but the victim being an heir is 10x worse".

Hearing confirmation that death was coming to Emma and Anette gave me goosebumps. There's a part of me that can't reconcile the death penalty with their crimes. Then common sense kicks in. I know that both women would try the same thing again or even worse if they were freed.

Diego moves from his chair and sits beside me.

"Darling if we didn't think to put a vest on your father we would be mourning him now. I know you're conflicted but I will choose my child and wife being alive. Over those two witches any day of the week".

He was right of course I smile at him and look around at the faces in the room. Roberto's was passive he's king I expected nothing else. Camila was looking at me with concern. Laila the same, I look up at Diego and saw love and determination. I knew then this man would tear apart whomever was stupid enough to hurt his family limb from limb.

It hurts to hear the death confirmation but if Anette got a footman from here on her side. She can manipulate the guards in prison. "How long do they have left?" I ask.

"The trial starts tomorrow by Saturday they will be dead".

There was a finality to the king's word making it clear the decision was final. In a way I was glad there would be no what if moment when they were gone. Later my family joined Diego's for board game night. It was just the distraction I needed to be fair we all needed. I had Sophia with me as we played I couldn't help thinking of the contrast to her childhood and mine.

I never experience this silly family tradition before I came here. Heck there were many things I didn't do as a child. She will get to experience traditions like this growing up while constantly being told she's loved and wanted.

I kept glancing at dad hoping he doesn't notice me looking over at him. I fear for him and the toll this may take on him. Put Anette to one side for a moment he has to live with knowing his daughter tried to kill him. That she was a racist.
He now has to go back to a country where he will interact with a black queen. Someone who would've seen and heard, the racist things that came out of his daughter's mouth about her.

I knew my uncle was a good man but I don't know Debbie's mother that well. I sincerely hopes she doesn't cause problems for my father because of it. I sense I was being watched and turn to see Debbie staring at me, she tilts her head as if to say outside. I give Sophia to Diego and follow her out the room.

She hugs me, "I couldn't help noticing the look of concern on your face. Every time you sneakily look at your dad".

"It can't be pleasant for him to go home with what happen here only days ago. How can he look at your mother knowing what his daughter said".

"My mother doesn't bare any ill will towards your father. You forget she knows what a racist your mother is. She told me she experienced racism first hand from Anette when she first came to the palace with dad. Mom is only talking about it now because of what happened couple days ago. Dad said she showed him several horrible letters Anette wrote her.
Everyone is in shock about the shooting. I could've lost an uncle but more importantly you and William a father. If we allow this situation to take over our lives for too long. We will end up being in danger of become a fractured family.
Anette and Emma will wins then and they would've torn us apart like they wanted to. Dad has insist my uncle take some time off in fact several months from royal duties. He can spent it with Duchess Maria that's what girlfriends are for. She's such a lovely down to earth authentic women. Your king has graciously told him if he wanted to spend couple months here he could. He has to go back to Denmark first and deal with some legal matters. After which he can come back here and start his period of grief".

"He didn't say anything to me about this".

"I'm sure he's just waiting for the right time. I know William is returning to Denmark with us but not to royal duties yet. I've never been so glad he's in a relationship with Eva in my life. She will get him through this in a way you or I can't".

"I'm glad he has her too but I still want him to come and visit me from time to time. Whilst he's on break from his duties".

"Don't worry Vic I'll make sure he does".

"You hear about people going into depression all the time".

For the first time that day Debbie smiles broadly at me, "I have a feeling he will find the will to live and keep going".

Debbie was right of course William has a girlfriend and everyone could see he was in love with her.

"Come on let's go back in before they send out a search party for us". As Debbie starts walking back I grab her hand.

"Wait promise me you will look after dad for me. I know he's got William but he's in a relationship now with Ava. I spoke to dad he's unsure if Maria will want to continue with the relationship. I don't want dad going into depression about this and maybe doing something to himself."

"There's a piece of his heart that will remember the good memories with Emma, that's normal. Truth be told before this happened never mind. Come on let's go in I'm thirsty".

"Wait what were you going to tell me?"

"I had plans to send him with a lasagna to Maria's house for a pot luck dinner or inviting her to a dinner and locking them in a room together to talk instead. They've been together for a year now if he wants her by his side officially he needs to propose to her".

I decide I was going to tell dad I would be happy for him if he wanted to marry Maria. I was well aware Maria could say look the scandal about your family means I don't want to date you anymore.

"I'm hoping for the day I hear the word lasagna and dad in a sentence from you again".

We walk back into the palace and Debbie had alleviate some of the fears I had about dad.

"Thank you," I whispered to her.

The first day of the trial was difficult dad and the others were still here because they had to testify in the court case. We decided we would only attend court on the day we each person had to testify.

I had an engagement that day a reception at the palace I decide to do it. I will not put my life on hold because of those two witches.

I was going over the details of the afternoon reception with my private secretary and the head of the household. Diego was already on the first of his three engagement for the day. I finish finalising everything for the evening and went to check on Sophia. She was due a feed and I was still occasionally breastfeeding her.