Foe?

"Actions prove who someone is, words just prove who they pretend to be".
          -unknown

It turns out we needed to take some photos of Diego and I and the Danish king and queen. They would be release to the press in Sardinia and in Denmark. So we took several photographs as a foursome. Emma tries to stand next to Diego and I so she could be in the pictures too. But the king's private secretary said no, only the future king and queen was needed. She didn't look too happy about that.

After the photos were taken we went back to the wedding reception. I danced with William then Diego then Debbie and my little cousins. I approached Emma to start dancing with her and she just walks off the dance floor.

My uncle tapped me on the back.

"May I have this dance?"

I nod and he takes my hand and we started dancing. The queen was dancing with Diego.

"I'm extremely proud of you Victoria and I'm going to request you and Diego do a tour of Denmark next year. That way you get to see your father and siblings after your wedding. Once you're a crown princess your schedule will become crazy. Just remember to take at least a day off  minimum per week.  You can always pick the phone up and call me. If you need any advise or Debora as I'm sure she would've told you. Your mother was so busy not liking you she failed to see your potential or any of your good qualities".

"Thank you Uncle Alexsander". The dance ends and I hug him.

As I was walking towards Antonio I hear, "Wow she tried to embarrass her and she still came out looking good. She dance with the king something .. will never do. I didn't get the name of the person they were talking about as Antonio came over to me just as they were mentioning it.

"Victoria", Antonio hugs me I hug him back, "You look happy".

"I'm", I responded.

"Four months till the wedding, I'm actually looking forward to my embarrassing best man speech. You know you and I have become such  good friends. If someone told me that would happen I would have laughed in their face. I'm so glad we have each other to bounce ideas off".

"Do you realise Antonio we talk to each other at least once a week and that was before I became engaged to your best friend".

"It's a party," Debbie says as she comes over with Diego. They each had a glass of extra champagne in their hand. Antonio and I were so deep in conversation we didn't see or hear them approaching us.

Our partners jokingly refers to Antonio and I's standing weekly checking in on each as a standing "date". We drink our champagne and look around the room. A lot of people were talking in groups, a group of woman I didn't know was watching us. I couldn't see Emma anywhere.

Antonio gives my champagne glass to Diego and leads me to the dance floor. We danced till it was time to sit again for the dessert course and the cutting of the cake. The reception had more people that those who came to the wedding.

The day before Diego and I go back to Sardinia I go and said goodbye to my father and siblings. Emma seemed in a better mood. I was happy to go back home and away from her. There was still so much to do for the wedding.

Months pass and finally my wedding day arrives. The queen was fussing around me making sure I look perfect. I appreciated it as my mother should have been doing that. I was wearing the tiara the queen wore on her wedding day.
My dress was a white mermaid silhouette made of lace and tule with tiny crystals around the waist. My hair was in a sleek version of a messy bun. My veil was plain allowing my dress to be the star of the show.

When I saw Diego at the alter in his military uniform my heart skipped a beat. He was so breathtakingly handsome and the smile he gave me set my heart a flutter. As I walk out the cathedral as a married woman I felt elated. Diego kisses me while the photographers take pictures. We were taken back to the palace in a horse drawn carriage. I wave to our subjects while Diego holds my hand every now and then while we wave.

We arrive back at the palace and go into the great room to take pictures with the wedding party.
The photographer had Diego and I posing with our family members on either side of us. My cousins Isabelle and Johan were our page boy and flower girl. Emma wasn't a bridesmaid I wanted her to be one but Diego and Antonio didn't think it was a good idea. I was very surprised when his parents agreed with them. My three best friends including Laila were my bridesmaids instead. Diego and I had to take photos with just the king and queen. After all the photos were taken we walked into our wedding reception. There was a receiving line of some of Diego's extended family members who bowed and curtsied to me. As I was now above them in the hierarchy.

Diego and I were cutting our wedding cake when I saw Emma glaring at me. She seems to notice me looking at her and she starts to smile at me instead. Diego and I danced to the song At Last by Etta James as our first song. I had become a great lover of blues music after being introduced to it by my cousin.

When the dance ends we switch partners I danced with his father and he danced with his mother. Then everyone else started coming onto the dance floor. It truly was a memorable day and much later Diego and I pull the covers over ourselves in bed and I give him a quick kiss. We were too tired to do anything but sleep.

The next day we woke up and made up for being tired the night before. We showered together afterwards then go downstairs for breakfast. The Danish king and queen were there along with Leila, Debbie and all our family.

"Good morning", I greet the room. Everyone returns the greeting.

We were going on honeymoon that afternoon to the Seychelles for two week. After breakfast Diego had to take a picture with him and his father to be released to the public in couple weeks. I take a photo with the king,  queen and Diego to show the continuation of the monarchy. I ask the photographer to take a photo of me and Lelia and Diego took a picture with her too. The king insisted we have a family portrait right then and there. 

I remembered what it was like watching my cousin being at the forefront of everything and the jealousy I felt then. I also remember it made me feel unimportant that's why I ask Lelia to take a picture with me. She was a member of the family before I came along. The king's younger brother died when he was seventeen. So the crown really needs Laila to do her engagements and support the monarchy.  I want her to know she's just as important to the family as Diego. She's second in line to the Sardinian throne after all. I'll do everything I can to make sure our friendship doesn't go bad because of my new status. I don't want her to feel sideline in anyway.

Diego and I were on a private plane headed to the Seychelles. I was reading Animal Farm by George Orwell.  Diego was reading Time Magazine, his phone rings and he answers it. When he finishes his call he looks alarmed.

"Darling did you tell your sister where we're going on honeymoon?"

"Yes of course she's my sister".

"Darling I need to speak to the pilot but we need to have a conversation when I return".

"Of course".

Diego leaves and returns later with a glass of ice tea in one hand and a glass of fresh orange drink in the other. I take the ice tea from him.

"You know I love you very much right and I want the very best for you?"

"Of course darling, you're scaring me what's the matter?" I take a sip of my ice tea.