8

There's a good feeling in the air today, I don't know what it is.

It just feels like everything is so...right.

I pull my long blonde hair into a loose ponytail as I walk into Shuri's lab. It's still the afternoon and the continuation to my dinner date with Bucky is later tonight. Whenever I find that I have extra time on my hands and I'm not with Bucky, I tend to spend it with Shuri helping her out with anything she needs.

"Hey Shuri" I call out, alerting the girl to my presence.

"Dawn, perfect timing! Come, help me with this" her voice calls back from somewhere deep in the lab. I furrow my brows and step around a large, sleek machine and find the princess underneath a large suspended piece of metal that I recognize as one of the devices that deactivates the vibranium on the transportation tracks down below. Around her, she's got all sorts of tools spread out, suggesting that she's doing some sort of maintenance.

"I'm right here, what can I help with?" I ask, crouching down beside Shuri and the metal piece.

"Hand me the precision laser please" she calls out, holding her hand out from underneath the metal to me. I scan the area quickly before spotting the tool and handing it over. She thanks me once it is in her hand and continues working on the piece.

"So are you and the White Wolf going to finish your dinner date tonight?" Shuri asks, dropping the laser down and asking me for another tool. After I find it and set it in her hand, I respond.

"We are, I'll probably need your help again tonight if you've got time"

She finishes up with the tool and drops it down too, sliding out from underneath the large metal piece and raising her eyebrows at me.

"If I have time? Dawn, I'm fixing things that aren't even broken because I'm so bored" Shuri informs, making me laugh lightly at the girl. She grabs a nearby tool and slides back underneath to continue her tinkering.

"You really are the best" I inform with a smile, standing to my feet and leaning up a nearby table.

"Don't forget it!" Shuri calls back, making humor light up my features.

My eyes wander over to a television holo-screen in the lab that is flipping intermittently through international news broadcasts to show the most interesting ones. I sigh and watch it for a few minutes, reading something about oil prices when the broadcast cuts out in the middle and switches to one in New York.

"-what can only be described as chaos and confusion on the streets of New York" the news reporter's voice carries out to me, making me furrow my brows.

I stop leaning on the table and stand straighter, hoping that what I caught the broadcast in the middle of is nothing serious like it sounds to be. The view of the two anchors cuts to a live feed of...

No, that can't be right.

I watch a second longer and realize that what my slowly widening eyes are seeing is in fact happening. Panic spikes in my heart, my relaxed body quickly becoming increasingly alert.

There's a giant, ovular spaceship hovering over the streets of New York.

"Shuri," I call, my voice tight with panic.

"Give me a second, I've just got an idea for-"

I cut her off, my unbelieving eyes not moving from the television broadcast.

"Shuri" I repeat.

The girl must realize the confusion and dread in my voice because I hear her slide out from underneath the metal piece and jump to her feet. She walks over to where I stand and looks over to the news broadcast. Whatever she was about to say dies off in her throat. We stand in silence, listening to the screams coming from the people on the streets.