23

**TW: BLOOD AND GORE**

"Pulling up now"

At Nat's words, I snap my head up to look out the window of her corvette, my eyes landing on DJ's elementary school. I hear Steve and Nat take in a sharp breath at the ambulance that's present alongside a host of cop cars.

Please be okay. Please be okay.

Nat hasn't even fully put the car in park before I'm out of the door and sprinting towards the school. I make it to the police tape that about two dozen other parents are crowded around and shove my way to the front. I'm about to cross under it when a police officer steps in my way.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but this is a closed crime scene and..." he begins, but his voice trails off as his eyes catch behind me. I don't need to look to know that Nat and Steve have jogged up.

I don't spare the officer another glance and slip under the police tape. The two behind me follow and before the officer can object, Steve claps him on the shoulder.

"Stay out of this one, son" he announces before walking after me.

I shove my way through medical officials, my eyes shooting to the ambulance in time to see the back doors being slammed shut and the ambulance begin to speed away. My heart is thundering in my chest.

Please be okay. Please be okay.

Before I can sprint after it, a small, terrified voice calls out to me. I almost don't hear it in the chaos of everything around me.

"Aunt D-Dawn" DJ calls out, and I whirl around so fast that the world is still spinning when I'm stopped. My eyes search the crowd of EMT's, cops, and school officials until I catch sight of my niece surrounded by four cops.

Anger like I've never known breaks through me.

I clench my jaw tightly and storm up to the cops. They see me approaching before I make it there and their hands that are already on their weapons tighten as two of them pull out their guns.

"Ma'am, stop where you are! This is a dangerous individual and-"

"Dangerous individual?!" I exclaim, my eyes glowing green with my powers as rage bubbles in me, "She's ten years old! I can show you a dangerous individual"

At the sight of my powers, the cops waver, but one whose weapon is holstered steps up and holds up her hands as if to calm me down. She seems the most level-headed of the group, so I choose to listen to her instead of blasting her and her comrades away from my niece like every fiber of my being itches to.

"This is your niece right?" She asks, her face almost sympathetic. Almost.

"Yes" I answer, my words tight. The cop looks at DJ then me slowly. The look on her face makes me falter. There's pure hesitation there, maybe even some fear. But I don't think it's me who she's afraid of. Her next words shock me into silence.

"She killed someone today"

No.

No, there's a mistake. My DJ would never... My gaze travels over to to the little girl who I would give anything to protect and my entire world shifts. I probably would have passed out if Steve hadn't been there to grab ahold of my arm and support my weight from beside me.

Because DJ is covered in blood that isn't hers.

|||

"I'm so sorry about the cops, Miss Beckett. They were just as scared as everyone else and-"

"Scared enough to have their weapons drawn on a sobbing ten year old girl?" I interrupt, my tone not nearly as fiery as it was now that I've calmed down. The principal looks at me and sighs, settling further into her seat and putting a hand to her temple.