34

New York. 2012. I still remember the battle like it was yesterday. 

I remember getting Fury's call, remember the way his gruff voice told me to get to Stark Tower from my safe house in New York. I remember the screams and the aliens coming out of the sky. I remember the Avengers, a brand new group of heroes banding together to become something more. To become Earth's Mightiest Heroes. 

I remember watching them from the shadows, wishing I could be there with them but too afraid to tip the scales of my precarious situation towards being captured again by Hydra. If we were to walk these streets, you'd see me in the alleyways and construction zones and sewers, helping from afar. 

"Alright, we all have our assignments. Two stones uptown, one stone down. Stay low, keep an eye on the clock." Cap orders. 

Before he can finish, though, we're interrupted by 2012 Hulk smashing into the street. Even though no aliens are nearby, he stops to pummel a nearby car, scream in anger, and bound away. Bruce winces before Steve looks back to him.

"Maybe smash a few things along the way."

Bruce takes a few minutes to pretend to be his 2012 self, making DJ laugh more than once, before we finally split to go after our separate stones. Bruce is on time stone duty at the Sanctum while the rest of us are working to get the mind and space stones away from Loki and the guards somehow. 

After strategizing for a few minutes, we figure out that we should wait until Loki is defeated in the tower. From there, Cap  will work to get the mind stone from the scepter while the rest of us work to get the space stone from the tesseract. We split up, Tony taking watch with Scott in the skies while Steve, DJ, and I look to sneak in through one of the elevators in the tower. 

As we sneak through the tower, avoiding heat signatures when I sense them, Tony's voice crackles though the intercom. 

"Things are about wrapped up" He announces. Steve nods, whispering his reply.

"On our way to the elevator"

There's a beat of silence as we maneuver into a hidden corner in the tower, taking a moment to breath as a group of SHIELD agents rush past. 

"Ah, Mr. Rogers. I almost forgot that that suit did nothing for your ass" Tony suddenly states. 

It takes every ounce of my restraint to keep from laughing and breaking our cover. Steve scrunches up his face.

"No one asked you to look, Tony"

"It's ridiculous"

"I think you look great, Cap. As far as I'm concerned, that's America's ass." Scott interjects. This time, I do snicker slightly. 

As Tony and Scott work to do their part, the three of us sober up quickly as our role comes up. The secret elevator arrives and I nod to DJ, scanning for heat signatures before stepping into view of the doors. 

"This is us," I say to my niece, entering the elevator and turning towards Steve who waits for Tony's signal on the elevator he needs to enter.

When Tony gives the signal of Loki's scepter coming down the elevator in possession of the STRIKE team, who we all thought were SHIELD at the moment, Steve will enter the elevator and charm his way into getting the scepter. Since we know now what we didn't then, all he has to do is say that he's Hydra and they'll give it to him. 

"Good luck, Cap" I call out. He nods, giving me and Dawn a mini-salute. 

"Same to you" 

And with that, the doors close.