38

Tragedies come in threes.

One. I was taunted with Bucky in 2012 and forced to make an impossible decision.

Two. Natasha Romanoff died.

Three. The moment we got everyone back, Thanos blew our Compound to ash and rubble.

Tragedies come in threes, but I refuse to let number three remain a tragedy.

Ash and dust are swirling violently through the air, flames are licking up somewhere nearby, and the explosions have turned the sky a foreboding shade of gray. My ears are still ringing from the blast, and for one gut-wrenching moment I can't seem to understand what's happening. An endless stream of questions tirades through my mind, each leaving mostly unanswered.

Where are the others?

How is Thanos not dead?

How did he get here?

Why was the timing of the snap and his appearance so coincidental?

A pause, and then the question that shoves my mind from its hazing stupor and into panicked action.

Where's DJ?

"DJ?" My voice is hoarse and clothed in pain as I manage to shove myself onto all fours. I covered her when the first blast hit, but the others threw us apart. "DJ!"

My eyes frantically search the rubble, but I can't see any sign of my niece. My head is pounding, my heart is racing, and every ounce of joy has turned to lead in my stomach. Finally, with a little help from my heat signature seeking powers, I find a still-breathing person lying a couple yards away.

"DJ, is that you?" I manage out, my voice slightly slurred as everything slowly comes back into focus.

I stagger to my feet, every muscle barking at me to stay down, and stumble over to the groaning girl. As I walk, a deep limp makes me glance down at my thigh only to see a metal bar lodged clean through the side. At the grotesque site, the world swoops and tilts around me, nearly sending me to the floor. I swallow down my nausea, just glad that I'm so in shock that I can't feel the pain, and keep blindly stumbling towards the girl. The closer I get, the more I see that it is DJ and she's groaning, which means that she's alive.

"Dawn?" her muffled, groggy voice calls out. I would have missed it had I not already gotten close to her. She lifts her head, wincing slightly as her eyes pry open and lift to my limping form that closes in on her.

"DJ, thank God you're alright," I mumble, using the energy that I'm quickly finding because of adrenaline to let my venomous gas pool out of my hand and down into my floored niece. I work quickly, the action second nature as I work it through her system and pull it back to me. The pain barely registers, and slowly DJ manages to get to her feet with my help.

"Thanks," She breathes, her voice clearer now that I've healed her. Her eyes roam me, searching for injuries. They snag on my thigh, and she lifts a rushed gaze to meet my own, "We have to fix that."

I nod, not even wincing as I reach down, grab the metal bar with both hands, and rip it from my thigh. DJ clenches her jaw at the sight, but works quickly to heal me and return the favor. Her control is getting stronger over her abilities, because flesh and bone have stitched back together in mere seconds.

"What happened?" She rushes out, her voice just as panicked and confused as I am. I shake my head, surveying the rubble of what once was my home.

"I don't know," I breathe, bringing a hand to my forehead before sliding it into my hair for grip, "None of it makes sense"