25

"And I think...that...does it" I announce, huffing out a sigh and leaning back in my chair.

My exhausted eyes are stuck on the laptop before me, examining the confirmation page of my request submission to homeschool DJ. After days of considering and arguing, we decided it was best to keep her close so we can train and school her in a safe space.

"Does that mean I get to home school with all of you?" DJ asks, squirming in her chair beside me. I give her a tired smile.

"That's exactly what that means," I respond, reaching over and planting a kiss on her brow, "And you're gonna get to do training in all of the facilities that the Avengers train in."

At this, her entire face lights up. She shoots her hands up in victory, her little hands clenched into fists.

"YES! This is SO much cooler than math class!" She announces. I laugh slightly as I sit back and close the laptop.

"You still have to learn math, kid" I remind, immediately souring her mood and making her drop into a frustrated pout.

"Dang it" She whispers under breath, and I shake my head with a soft laugh.

"Come on, kid. It's way past your bedtime" I announce, earning a groan from DJ. Before I can do anything else, though, FRIDAY's voice rings out through the compound.

"There's a few visitors on the property, miss" She informs.

I furrow my brows, looking over to the console were FRIDAY broadcasts the live feed from one of the cameras on property. I furrow my brows when I see a young boy, probably about Dawn's age, walking up to one of the main entrances of the compound with another boy that's probably around 17 or 18.

"Stay here," I order to DJ as I cautiously rise from my seat and walk over to the door. When I open it, both boys freeze where they stand.

"Can I help you boys?" I ask, my voice carrying through the wind to them. The teenager stares with wide-eyes at me, seeming almost paralyzed by fear.

Have I really come so far since the snap to become...scary?

Something twists deep in my gut. The sunshine that once so easily burst forth out of me is a chore to produce every day, now. I haven't felt like that since...Well, since I was 16. I can't let that die, it's one of the few things I have left.

I offer the boys a soft smile, trying to seem less intimidating. It does little to relax the teenager, but the younger one has no problem walking up to me.

"You're Dawn Beckett, right?" He asks, brushing a lock of soft brown hair from his face.

"That I am," I respond, looking between the older boy and who I presume to be his brother, "And who might you too be?"

"I'm Hunter," the younger one, the only one of the two who has spoken to me, replies, "And that's my brother Max. I...I'm a friend of DJ"

Every part of me freezes instantly. It's as if the wind has been knocked clear from my lungs as I stare down at this little boy and his brother who claim to be friends of my niece. My niece who just very publicly ended another kid's life.

"You're a..." I cut myself off, clearing my throat and holding the door wider so the two can step inside, "You two better come on inside. It's late, you shouldn't be out on your own"

"We're not, Max is with me." Hunter replies as the two brothers step into the compound. As Hunter jogs in slightly, his face swiveling around in awe of the no doubt "legendary" place in his mind, Max stops by me. He finally works up the courage to speak.