13

It's amazing how quickly excitement can fade.

Not seconds after Thor's display of power, the alien creatures seemed to multiply in number and rush at us once more. The fight continues, this time with Thor, a raccoon, and a walking tree on our side.

If I had heard that sentence ten years ago I would have called myself insane.

As I slit the throat of another alien, I hear the raccoon begin to speak to Bucky near my left. I look over in time to see Bucky focusing on shooting down aliens while the raccoon looks up at his metal arm.

"How much for the gun?" he asks.

"Not for sale" Bucky grunts out, not even sparing him a glance.

"How much for the arm?" the raccoon pushes.

This time, Bucky does look down at him, shooting the raccoon a glare before walking away shaking his head.

"Oh I'll get that arm" the raccoon mumbles.

My lips quirk in amusement as I approach Bucky, throwing a shot of venom at a group of creatures off to his side.

"Making friends already?" I ask, my face spelling amusement when Bucky looks over at me. He chuckles slightly and shakes his head, continuing to fire his rounds of bullets.

"A talking raccoon, just when I thought things couldn't get weirder" he remarks, making my laugh slightly. My eyes catch on a creature approaching his blind side and I whip out one of my knives.

"Duck!" I shout out. He does so without question, ducking just in time for my knife to sail over his head and lodge into the eye of the creature. He stands, flicking his gaze to the heat signature approaching me from behind.

Without another word, he holds out his metal arm and latches it onto mine. I know instantly what he means to do and let myself slide to the ground and right past him as he throws me backwards. The creature meaning to maul me from behind meets an uppercut from Bucky instead and I blast my venom into the aliens on the other side, my back on the floor as I use the venom to hoist them into the air and throw them to the side.

I jump back to my feet, flicking my gaze over my shoulder at Bucky.

"I think we make a good team" I comment, smiling breathlessly at him and turning so my body faces him.

He looks over at me, smirking and looking around quickly to check that every alien near us is dead. When he finds the coast clear for now, he jogs up to me and grabs my waist with one hand, pulling me to him before pressing a spontaneous kiss to my lips. My stomach erupts in butterflies, heat dancing beneath my skin in the midst of the war. When he pulls away, his smile is a little less humored and his baby blue eyes a little darker.

"Just in case" Bucky murmurs, making a sharp dagger pierce through my heart. His eyes are locked onto mine and within them I can see a hint of nervousness. For what, I don't know.

The charged moment between us is broken when I sense a heat signature speeding towards me and pull out of Bucky's hold to grab one of my knives. I turn and throw it without even aiming, a small breath of relief breaking from my lips when I see it lodge into the throat of an enemy. As we fight side by side, Bucky calls out to me.

"Dawn, I need to ask you something" He calls out, shooting another creature.

"Can it wait? We're kind of busy here" I respond, throwing myself onto the shoulders of a create and throwing myself down, bringing it with me.

"Uh, I don't think it can" Bucky replies, making me furrow my brows in confusion. I stand from the unconscious creature beneath me and look up towards my boyfriend. He finishes off another round of bullets before turning to me. The second our eyes lock, I know something is burning in his mind. There's a nervousness in his gaze that sets my curiosity off of its leash. When he sees that he has my attention, he clears his throat and takes a step closer to me. I don't catch the hand that he brings to one of his pockets, my attention too split on making sure no aliens sneak up on us.