10

One Year Prior

Sleep was just out of my reach, the deep tendrils reaching out to pull me in.

The dark of the night was broken up only by the sliver of the moon's rays slipping into my darkened room from my window. The silence of the complex, alerting me that everyone is asleep, lulls me and brings me close to sleep. I snuggle deeper into the blankets of my bed, my eyes slipping closed and my consciousness slipping away slowly.

Tap tap

I freeze, my tiredness slipping away instantly. My eyes whip open and my heart jumps at the odd noise against my window. I furrow my brows, waiting another second in the silence. When the sound doesn't continue, I figure I must have imagined it and let myself relax once more.

Tap tap

This time I sit up in my bed, my brows furrowed. I definitely didn't imagine that. Slowly, I climb out of my bed, the cool air brushing against the part of my legs not covered by my shorts. The large shirt I wear reaches down to my thighs, protecting me more from the cool air conditioning. I slowly walk up to my window, apprehension roaring through every fiber of my being. My room is on the third floor, so whatever this is, it's deliberate.

My heart is pounding in my chest as I slowly approach my window, letting my senses reach out. My heart jumps into my throat when I feel the presence of a heat signature outside. Could it be a fan? Sure, I've found them following me before but this is a little extreme. With cautious hands, I slowly pull back my curtain and look down. My eyes widen and my heart jumps into my throat.

Is that Bucky?

I quickly undo the latches on my window and throw it open, pushing the upper half of my body out to look down at the man standing outside my window three stories down. My eyes are wide with surprise, my mouth parted slightly.

"Bucky?" I question quietly, a happiness I can't put into words pooling within me, "What are you doing here?"

My boyfriend smirks and I can see it even from up here.

"I missed you" he simply responds, making my stomach flutter.

"So you came all the way from Wakanda because you missed me?" I ask, smiling down at the man.

"What can I say? We do crazy things when we're in love," he responds, shrugging, "Even stealing a Quinjet and escaping in the middle of the night"

I laugh, the sound bubbling out like it only does when Bucky is around. I motion for him to wait and quickly shut my window, slipping on a pair of shoes and silently leaving my room. As quietly as I can, I slip from the compound and into the cool night air, the moon beaming down on me as I jog around towards Bucky's heat signature. When I see him, I sprint up to him, crashing into him and pulling him into a tight hug. I haven't seen him in two months.

"T'Challa is going to be so mad when he notices you're gone" I state, pulling back to smile at my boyfriend. Bucky smirks and winks at me, his metal arm wrapped securely around my waist.

"You're worth it"

My heart jumps and I shake my head slightly at the man before me.

"You're crazy" I inform. He smiles, bringing his other hand to my cheek.

"And you love me anyway"

I don't respond, but instead meet his lips with mine. He instantly responds, pulling me closer to him. Still after all this time, kissing him takes my breath away. When I pull away, breathless, a permanent smile is etched onto my lips.

"I feel like a teenager all over again" I observe, making Bucky laugh, "Except I never had the guts to sneak out when I was a teenager"

"Well it's nice to know you will for me, doll"