31

Six Years Ago

|||

"You know, those little poison knives of yours are very inefficient when it comes to a fight. You can't just have an infinite amount, and you can't just go into a fight without a solid weapon"

I look up at Tony from across the breakfast table, lifting an eyebrow at him. As I take a sip of my coffee, I tilt my head to him.

"I think I'm the weapon, Tony. The knives are just there as a fail safe" I respond.

Tony nods, getting up to pour himself another cup of coffee. As he does, I can tell he's ruminating in silence like he usually does when he's caught on an idea. A smile tugs at my lips.

"What is it, Tony?"

"It's just," Tony suddenly begins, turning around and setting down his mug, "If we got you a more reliable weapon, maybe like a sword or something-"

I giggle, watching his movements as he comes and sits down at the table again.

"A sword?" I ask, the humor not leaving my tone. He shoots me his iconic, Would you just shut up and stop making fun of me, look just as Peter Parker comes jogging into the room. May agreed to let him spend the weekend here because of the big mission we're working on. So, it's been a fuller house than usual.

"A sword? Are you giving Dawn a sword? I want a sword!" Peter announces, his hyper voice extra bright this morning.

"No, no one's getting a sword," Tony sighs, bringing a hand to the bridge of his nose, "You know what, nevermind"

Peter and I laugh as we all sit around the breakfast table. Eventually, Tony cracks a smile and just shakes his head at us, "Why do I let you two stay here again?"

"Oh come on, Mr. Stark! You love us" Peter asserts. I can't help but smile as Tony mutters something along the lines of 'love is a strong word' into his coffee cup.

We would spend the next few hours working on our mission, but I've found that doing things with those you love makes a good memory out of anything.

|||

Present Day

In the time since our near success with Bruce's time machine, we've called in everyone to come back to base.

Nebula, Rocket, and Rhodes quickly began their journey back as soon as we gave them the Scott news and broke our time heist idea. Natasha left not too long after we made sure Scott was okay to follow a lead on Clint's location. Once Rocket makes it here, him and Bruce have planned to go retrieve Thor from where he's retreated to these last few years. We're calling in everyone that we possibly can because the truth is that we're going to need it. With all of these people coming back it almost feels normal again.

And yet...

And yet, with all of my family coming back together, I still can't help but feel the hole where Tony would be. During the two years I worked on and off for him and Steve, Tony and I grew close. He gave updates to my suit, helped me navigate my public image, he even helped me out of a lawsuit right before all of this began. To fight so fiercely with him like I did a few days ago...

An anxious sigh passes my lips as I settle down on my bed in the Avengers Compound. I've always hated being in fights with people, especially people I care about. People I consider my family. That's why I can't stop replaying my practical yelling match with Tony.

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so angry.

Maybe I should've taken it easier on him.

Maybe I-