chapter sixty

"you seem distracted

"you seem distracted. is everything okay?" my mom asked as i went to get a ginger ale from the machine.

"i should be asking you if you're okay, ma. your son just got shot."

"and he just so happens to be your brother as well." she replied, sniffling. "but are you okay?"

"it's just been a long day." i confessed.

"everything okay with sonny? with work?"

"sonny's niece was raped three months ago and she was raped again tonight."

she looked at me shocked.

"oh my goodness, is she alright?"

"she's shaken up and upset, as expected. when i got the call about sal, she was getting checked out by the doctor. sonny was in the waiting room waiting for his sister to get here from connecticut."

"is the rest of the family coming?"

i shrugged. "i have no idea. i don't think teresa even told them. she didn't even tell her ex-husband."

"oh lord."

"yeah, it's a mess right now."

i looked over to see angelina holding juliana in her arms while sal's kids look on, smiling at their little cousin.

cops had filled the room, waiting to hear the news about sal.

"el!" i heard olivia's voice through the crowd as i turned toward her, amanda, finn, and barba as my mother went back towards our family.

"lieutenant." i address her.

"what happened?" she asks.

"which situation are we referring to?"

"both."

"mia was raped in her dorm room. she confirmed her assailant to be ethan hartley. carisi and i rushed her to the hospital and they should be doing a rape kit now, if not soon. when i was up there, the doctor was speaking with her. mia's mother was notified and should be here now."

"did you interview any witnesses?"

"her roommate, renata, told us that she was raped again. she did give a statement, which you will have at some point. we didn't talk to anyone after her. we just thought it was best to get her here."