chapter twenty-three

after driving around a bit, wondering where to go, i ended up going to barba's office, because i knew he was probably still there, and upon arrival, i was right

i knocked at the door as he yelled come in.

i opened the door to see him sitting at his desk, looking over files, writing notes.

he took one look at me and knew something was wrong.

"what's wrong?" rafael asks closing the case file as i sat on the sofa in his office.

"its nothing, just needed to get out of the house for a little while."

"well, it's obviously not nothing because i know you've been crying." he pauses for a second, getting out of his seat and coming to sit next to me on the sofa.

"el, i'm practically your brother. i've known you for pretty much your whole life, since you were just a niñita. so, are you gonna tell me what's wrong or am i gonna have to force it out of you?"

"it's just-" i sigh. "after the whole thing with hemmingway, some people seem to think that i can't do my job or that i shouldn't do things that come with this job. i know how to handle myself, i've been an officer for eight years now rafa."

"let me guess, carisi said something about what happened today being the overprotective boyfriend that he is?"

i nod.

"rafa, it was a small argument, it only lasted a few minutes before i walked out, but i think by doing that i let it get so much worse then it needed to be." i sigh. "i just need to be trusted. i need to do my job without being a victim over and over again. the girl and her family are alive because of me. if anyone else had gone in there, who knows what he would have done to the family. he wanted me in there."

i started to let tears slip as i tried to wipe them away quickly, but rafa, knowing me all too well since i was little girl, wrapped his arms around me in an attempt to help me calm down before handing me a tissue.

"well, we all know how stubborn you can be," he says making me laugh a bit. "although i completely agree with what you're saying, i believe carisi has a right to say those things. maybe not in a harsh way, but he's just worried about you, we all are. we don't want something happening to you again."

"i know, but it isn't fair. what i did wasn't reckless. i really don't want to be treated a baby bird anymore, because i'm not fragile. sure, i took the case a bit personal because of my experience and how close in age her and my sister are, but i did my job, nothing else."