chapter fifty-nine

this couldn't be happening

this couldn't be happening. not now.

i stared down at the stick in front of me.

'pregnant' is what it read.

don't get me wrong, sonny and i wanted another baby; however, with everything going on in his family right now, and us having a seven month old, it just didn't seem like the right time.

the next time i did this i wanted him to be with me, but unfortunately this was something we both weren't anticipating.

sonny went in to meet with barba and benson early this morning as they interviewed the kid who mia says raped her.

knowing i had to focus my attention on this case, i stuffed the pregnancy test into one of the bathroom drawers and got what i needed for work.

"anything you need done while i'm here?" francesca asked.

"nope. just take care of my baby girl."

"you got it. always do."

"are you sure you're okay watching her today? i'm sorry again to pull you in last minute."

"don't sweat it. i'm off from work anyways. are you sure you're okay driving to queens to pick jules up later?"

"positive. just make sure you walk hope before you leave to pick up the kids."

"of course."

i hug my sister-in-law tight before pressing a kiss to my daughter's cheek and heading out the door.

as i drove to work, i got a call from my dear husband.

"hello?"

"hey babe, you on your way to work?" his voice rang through the phone.

"yep. why? what's up?"

"liv wants to drive up to connecticut to talk to mia again and i gotta talk to my sister about the case. any chance you're up to go with us?"

"yeah, absolutely. everything okay?"

"i'll explain everything in the car." he replied, sighing. "how far are you?"

"maybe ten minutes away."

"beautiful. see you soon. be safe. love you."