chapter twenty-nine

my eyes fluttered open as i saw my family, who were standing before me and sonny, who was holding my hand, and sleeping

my eyes fluttered open as i saw my family, who were standing before me and sonny, who was holding my hand, and sleeping. he had tear stains on his face. my family all looked exhausted and they also had tear stains on their faces.

"hi sweetheart." my mom smiles taking my other hand into hers, realizing i was awake. sonny starts to stir awake as he picks his head up, kisses my hand.

"hi momma." i smile. "look, you know i love you all, but why are you all here? did something happen?"

"you got shot honey, you're in the hospital." my nona says.

"i'm sorry, i was what?" i ask again making sure i heard that correctly.

"you were shot el. doc says you're gonna be fine." salvatore says.

"and that you'll recover, but you need to take some time off work which the commissioner says he's giving you a leave of absence with pay so you can recover properly." valentina states.

"you're gonna be just fine, doll. but, you're gonna need a lot of rest." sonny then says.

"we'll give you two the room." christian says before they all exit the room, leaving me and sonny.

"you scared the shit out of me." sonny says.

"i'm sorry."

"it wasn't your fault honey. you were doing your job, you didn't know he had a gun."

"i didn't put my vest on."

"well, neither did your partner. you guys didn't expect to be in the line of fire."

"how is he?"

"last i heard, doc says he was out of surgery and doing well."

"good."

there was silence in the room before sonny spoke again.

"dom, was there any damages, like internally?"

"doc said you were in surgery so long because the bullet was near your lower back, near the spine, it didn't go through and through. but, other than that, they said everything else looked good and that you'll be just fine."

"are we gonna be able to have children?"

"according to the doc, yes, we'll be able to have children just fine, hopefully with no complications one day." i smile as he reassures me.