chapter sixty-five

the next day in court,  i held sonny's hand as ethan went on the stand.

he explained his version of the rape, obviously making himself look like the good guy.

he claimed that they both consented to having sex that night and that it was her idea.

"and now i know why." he said.

"why's that?" his lawyer asked.

"so, she could claim i raped her." ethan replied. "and this time she'd have evidence, and uncle and aunt could lead the charge."

sonny grabbed my hand even tighter when we were brought up.

he even tried talking to her from the stand as her mother consoled her and i grabbed her hand.

the defense rested as barba then started his line of questioning.

"what were you studying in college?"

"i was pre-med."

"you were going to be a doctor?"

"i was." ethan replied. "a neurosurgeon. but that's gone now."

"you don't think you'll be acquitted?"

the kid scoffed.

"you know what? it doesn't matter. i'm already wearing the scarlet r." he answered. "my friends won't talk to me. you know, since hudson booted me, i applied to six other colleges. i got 700s on my SATs, and that wasn't good enough."

c'mon barba, lets go somewhere with this. don't need to hear the kids sob story.

"and that's what happened to you?" barba stood from the table.

"sure is. all it takes is one girl to say you looked at her funny, and that's it. your life's over."

"yeah, but you did more than look at mia funny, ethan."

"why, because she said so?"

for fucks sake.

oh god.

this was not the time to have morning sickness.

i felt it coming on as i just took deep breaths, trying to control it.

no way in hell was i missing this.

"look, that first time in her dorm, we were in it together." ethan then said. "you heard what her uncle, the cop, said. i didn't rape her."

barba paused for a brief second before continuing.

"you were railroaded."

"that's right."

"and the bleeding hearts didn't want to hear the truth."

the kid scoffed. "they wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the face."

the kid kept talking, but i knew what was coming. i was just waiting for barba to finish his work.