chapter thirty-two

when i arrived home, sonny wasn't in the living room or kitchen, and i didn't hear the shower running so i assumed he went to bed

"look el, i thought you knew that's why i told you." rafael says. "i can go back to my own place, you know?"

"you're staying here until they get him. you've had a protection detail on you since the squad found out, well, here's your other protection until this guy is in custody, which after reading sonny's notes should be in the next couple of hours." i say. "uni's are posted outside of his house."

"ella, i really appreciate this, i really do, but i don't want you or carisi to be in any danger."

"you do realize that we both carry off-duty weapons, right? and that we put ourselves in danger every day?"

"i'll pretend i didn't just say that."

"babe, what's going on?" sonny asks as he joins barba and i in the living room.

from the look on his face, i could tell he hadn't been sleeping, he just looked exhausted. knowing sonny, he was probably waiting for me to come home so he knew i was safe at home with him.

"barba, what are you doing here?" he then asks with a confused look on his face.

"he's staying with us tonight for his own protection." i reply bluntly.

sonny looks at the two of us confused before he realized.

"okay, i was going to tell you-"

"save it."

"just let me expl-"

"how about not right now."

"ella."

"dominick."

there was a brief silence in the room before rafael spoke.

"well, as much as i would love to see this argument go on, i'm gonna go and get ready for bed. good night you two."

"you left your harvard law shirt and your sweats here the last time you stayed over, they're in the drawer." i say as he raises his hand in a thank you manner before disappearing into the guest bedroom leaving me and sonny in the living room.

"look, i know what you're gonna say, and i'm sorry i didn't-"

when i started bursting out in laughter, sonny was confused as hell.