chapter fifty-four

"so, how's things with sonny boy?" francesca asks, taking a sip of her mimosa

it was a saturday afternoon and the russo ladies decided to have a brunch. well, the sisters and sister-in-laws.

"eh, could be better." i shrug.

"uh oh. trouble in paradise?" valentina cocked her head to the side, genuinely concerned.

i turn to both my sister-in-laws. "the brothers don't find out."

they motioned their hands to zip their lips.

"what going on between you two?" angelina questioned.

i sigh. "okay, remember a few weeks ago when i told you he rushed out to our friend's aid?"

"rollins, right?" ariana made sure as i nodded.

"yes. well as you know, it was finally a weekend without the baby and he gets a call that rollins is in the hospital. i get they're best friends, but he immediately stopped everything with me and basically ran out the door. i wasn't angry, but i was upset sure. i don't know why i guess i was just hoping to have an evening with my husband without an interruptions." i sigh. "anyways, he hasn't been home much since then. i see him at work, but after that he's been late to come home since he goes to visit her, especially since she's had the baby. it just seems that he's helping her more with her baby than with the one we brought into this world. i mean i get it, she's alone, but sonny isn't the only person who could be helping her. i would go if she asked, but it seems like she only asks him."

"okay, pause." valentina holds her hand up. "first of all, did you talk to him about it?"

i shook my head. "i mainly see him at work. by the time he comes home, i've already put jules down and i'm asleep myself. that's if he even comes home."

francesa and ang almost choked on their drinks.

"what do you mean 'if he comes home?'" ang said more aggressively than intended while waving her drink around.

"sometimes he stays there to help out with the baby if she's having a bad night."

all the ladies shook their heads, cursing him out in italian.

"honey, you have the patience of a saint. there's no way you're an italian woman." francesca replied, as we laughed. "if it was me in that situation, i seriously would've hit christian over the head already. you two have a newborn at home! his priority should be you and jules and amanda should come after all of that. he should know this."

"you don't have to tell me twice." i mumble, sipping the mimosa.

"where is he now?"

"luckily, he's home with jules. finally bonding with her after weeks."

"good, otherwise that wouldn't have ended well. you have a whole table of women that would come after him." ariana said.

"you're right there little sis." valentina smiled. "listen if you and jules need a place to say, you know you're more than welcome to stay with me and angelo."

"or me and sal."

"or me and christian."

i smile, laughing.

"thank you, if it even comes to that."

~

as i walked through the front door, i saw sonny lightly throwing our daughter in the air as she giggled. there was a huge grin on his face as he chuckled at her little laugh.

i couldn't help but smile.

"hey, look who's home!" sonny says to our daughter as i put my keys and purse down.

"oh my darling girl," i take her from sonny's arms, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "i've missed you."

hope stood next to me as i reached down to pet her as a hello.

sonny rushed into the back bedroom, not even bothering to kiss me hello, before returning back to the living room."

"where are you going?" i ask him.

"rollins'. i told her i'd help out with the little one yesterday." he informed me as he sat on the couch to put his shoes on.

i sighed, setting our daughter down in her playpen.

"sonny, we need to talk."

"can we talk later? i really have to go."

"no dom. we need to talk now." i said, sternly.

"i promise you, we will talk once i get back okay?" he pressed a quick kiss to the top of our daughter's head before kissing my lips.

"love you!" he shouts before disappearing out the door as i stood there dumbfounded.

i couldn't believe what just happened.

you would think he would stop and listen to what his own wife had to say.

in that moment i made a decision i didn't want to have to make, but i did.

i started packing a bag. one for myself, one for our daughter, and one for even the dog.

if sonny was going to treat me like i was nothing, i wanted to show him how it felt to have nothing.

i know it's probably petty and maybe even immature, but the way he seems to have forgotten his own family upsets me.

he used to say all the time how italian families work and how they come first.

me being italian knew that and it seems like that all went to shit.

i wrote him a quick note, before grabbing everything, putting it in the car, before making my way to my sister's house.