Chapter 19: The Wedding 2.0

JASMINE

What the hell am I doing?

Why on earth did I think this would be a good idea?

Granted, I never thought it was a good idea. I just knew I didn't have any other choice. I could already see the look on my mom's face if I showed up at the wedding without a plus-one, which is why it can't happen.

Standing in front of Kilian now, his hot gaze wandering up and down my body, my idea seems like an absolute disaster. Because my mouth goes dry the second I see the desire in his eyes, lust and need radiating off of him in electrifying waves. "Venus." He greets me with a nod, his voice deep, raspy, and laced with longing.

"Rogers." I clear my throat, trying to shake off the shiver running down my spine by straightening my posture. "You look dapper."

"Thanks. You..." His eyes darken as he takes in the blue maxi dress that tightens around my torso, and even though the way he almost visibly undresses me with his glance should infuriate me, the heat of his hot gaze on my skin burns through every rational thought in my mind. "You're absolutely beautiful."

I'm caught off guard by the honesty in his voice, by the way he's obviously trying hard to keep his cool. For a moment, it even seems like he's unsure about what to do. "Thanks," I respond, unable to hide the smile on my lips from his conspicuous insecurity.

It's almost like my smile triggers him, though, because he suddenly stretches out his arm, amusement playing on his features. "You ready?"

"Oh come on, Kilian." I laugh. "This is the twenty-first century. Let's get going." I pull the door shut behind me and rush past him down the stairs, his chuckle resonating behind me. I can only imagine how he shakes his head in disbelief, probably wondering why the hell he even offered to come with me today.

Truth be told, I have no idea why he offered that, either. I didn't think Kilian was the kind of man who willingly offered to join someone on a wedding, much less a wedding of people he doesn't even know. I can't deny his company is my emergency exit, my salvation from the nightmare that is a Watson family gathering, and still I'm skeptical about his offer.

I'm almost ready to ask him about it, but when I step out of my apartment complex, the presence of a shiny matte-black Ferrari right in front of my doorstep startles my thoughts. "Please tell me this is not your car." Realization dawns on me.

Kilian appears in my peripheral, a sly grin curling on his lips. God, how much I want to slap it off his face...

"'Course it is. That's Betsy."

"Betsy?" My eyes widen at his revelation, but he seems unfazed by my surprise.

"What? She's a beauty." He quirks an eyebrow, and I stare at him for a moment, trying to calm my mind from the hurricane that is Kilian Rogers. This man keeps surprising the shit out of me, and I hate that he has this effect on me; he keeps stealing my breath with the things he says and the way he acts. "You okay?" he asks.

"What happened to the Range Rover you drove the other day?"

"Believe it or not, but I own two cars."

His answer makes me roll my eyes. Of course he owns two super expensive cars. Sometimes I forget how rich this guy is, considering he behaves like a teenager most of the time. "Be that as it may; I'm not getting into that car with you."

"Why?"

"Are you really asking me that?"

"Yeah." He crosses his arms in front of his chest. "What did Betsy ever do to you?"