Chapter 41: Moving On

MILA

I always thought I couldn't have asked for more.

I have the husband I always dreamed of, a daughter who is the light of my world, and a father who adores his granddaughter with everything he has.

But there's one thing I always wished for that never seemed to have found its way into my life: Happiness for my best friend, my sister, my rock in this unstable world. Jasmine was always the stronger one out of the two of us; She always knew what she wanted, and she always fought hard to get what she dreamed of. Never in my life did I think a man like Kilian would be the one who ties her down, especially since he himself doesn't seem like he belongs anywhere near the word commitment.

And yet, they found each other, despite Jas' effort to not let him catch her. I guess all it took was a man who was up for the chase, who was ready to throw all inhibitions overboard and stand up to a woman as stubborn as her. He challenges Jasmine, and that's exactly what she needs. Even if she acts like it annoys her — she'd be long gone if he had bored her in the eight months they've been together now.

"Oh my god! Look at this!" Jas leans over, and I already see her falling off the ladder as she balances herself on one leg to reach the far end of her closet. Unsurprisingly, she holds her stance; Unlike me, Jasmine actually knows how to move without stumbling or falling. "How could we forget this?" She laughs, holding up a piece of fabric that makes me narrow my eyes.

"What is that?"

"You don't recognize it?" She shakes out the black shirt, dust particles now showing where exactly the afternoon sun shines through the windows. "That's the blouse you wore!"

I can't help but gasp when I realize what exactly she's holding in her hands now. "Oh my god!" Throwing up my hands, Jas then throws the blouse right into my arms. "I can't believe you still have that!"

"Well, it was mine until you wore it while getting sucked off by a hot quarterback."

Her laugh echoes through the partly emptied room, the contagious sound making me join in immediately. Studying the fabric in my hands, my wind wanders back to that very first night. I didn't even know who Hayden was when I met him, and yet everything about this man mesmerized me the second his eyes met mine. It seems so long ago now, when we haven't even been married for a year.

That's how it always was with him, though. Time stood still with my husband by my side, and I know that won't stop anytime soon.

"That's so surreal..." A sigh escapes my lips as I lower myself onto the mattress in the middle of the room. We disassembled most of the furniture on our own so the boys could do the heavy lifting tomorrow, but that means we deal with what we have now.

Jasmine plops down next to me, propping herself up on her elbow as she studies me. "Yeah, who would've thought it all started with this ugly ass piece of clothing?"

Looking at the blouse now, I can only agree with Jas. "Why did I wear this again? It looks terrible!"

"Nah, it looked good on you. It got Hayden's attention, so it did the job."

"I guess it did." A smile plays on my lips as I study the black fabric in my hands. Some might say this blouse is the perfect piece for a fairytale; Cinderella found her prince, only that she didn't lose a glass slipper, but a very basic smartphone.

I couldn't have written the story better myself, and I surely never thought I'd be a part of it. But here I am. In the middle of my very own fairytale.

"Do you remember how we moved in here?" Jas' question makes me focus back on her, and I watch how she lies back down on the mattress, her gaze directed at the ceiling.