Chapter 44: Uncle Kiki

Hayden

I always knew Kilian was capable of love.

What I didn't know was how obsessed he would get, and how determinedly he'd run after a woman the second he found the right one.

He's always been the unexpected among a sea of expectations, and that's exactly what makes him such a brilliant athlete. He thinks outside the box, finds ways to outrun his enemies no coach would've ever come up with. It just shows you should never judge a book by its cover, because Kilian Rogers might look like he has no idea what he's doing, but that couldn't be farther off the truth.

"You want a beer?" His question makes me turn around, and I find him grinning at me from the balcony door with two beers in his hands.

A quick glance at Nova in her baby carrier answers that question for me. "I'm good with water, thanks." She looks so peaceful when she sleeps; just like her mom, and I already know this will be one hell of a night.

I don't miss the eye-roll Kill shoots my way, but he quickly composes himself as he plops down in the chair next to me. "More for me, I guess."

"Nova could wake up any second now," I explain, "and she's just starting to form memories. I don't want her first memory to be her drunk ass dad looking down at her."

Kilian just stares at me for a moment before he shakes his head with a smirk. "They really built you in a husband-factory, huh? First you take the kid so Mila and Jasmine can get drunk, and now you don't even drink yourself..."

"That's what you do when you love someone." I shrug. "Besides, this is Mila's first night out since she stopped breastfeeding Nova. It won't be long until they're back here, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to drive my wife home." I can't help but laugh at my words, knowing just how true they are.

Mila has always been a lightweight, but considering she didn't drink for the last year and a half, I can imagine all it takes is a shot of tequila to make her clumsy-drunk.

"I don't think I've ever seen Jas drunk like that," Kilian states, his brows furrowed. "She might just drink me under the table, now that I think about it."

"I'm sure she would. I told you, the woman scares me."

"Man, me too." He laughs. "But that's the fun, isn't it?"

"Being scared is fun?"

"No, I mean, like... It's the entire package. Like on a rollercoaster, where you're high on adrenaline for the entire ride, and as much as you love getting out of that car afterward, you can't wait to get back into it. She's just..." He sighs deeply, as if he had to think hard about what he's saying next. "I don't know, man. She's just Venus."

I can't help but grin at my best friend, a man who has fallen hard for a woman who will keep him on his toes for the rest of his life. "I swear, the next time you call me sappy, I'll quote this shit to you."

"Fuck you," he mutters with a quick glance to Nova, who, luckily for him, is still sleeping peacefully. "You're way worse."

"Maybe. But I don't try to deny it."

"I don't try to deny it," Kill mimics my words in a mocking voice, and even though this piece of shit annoys the hell out of me again, I can't help but laugh at the man.

"Idiot..."

The commotion must have woken Nova up, because I register a faint but familiar voice coming from right next to me. A glance into the carrier shows my little girl with her wide brown eyes staring right at me, her arms outstretched in my direction, asking to be carried.