Chapter 43: Game Over

Jasmine

I've never been a big fan of red carpet events, but this one is particularly awful.

"Do you see that? That woman is wearing a rabbit on her head." I nod to a brunette lady at the other end of the ballroom, her white hat covered in fur that looks too real for my liking.

Kilian laughs as he pulls me closer into his side. "Think she hunted it herself? She is a biathlete, after all."

Glancing up at my handsome man, I can't help but appreciate the way he looks tonight. Dressed in a tux, his red tie perfectly fitting the dress he chose for me to wear, we both must look like we jumped straight out of a catalogue. "Probably," I respond with a laugh, smoothing down my red cocktail dress.

We spend some time socializing with athletes from all over the world, practicing all sorts of sports. I've never been a huge fan of any sport, frankly, but I can appreciate the effort that goes into it, now that I could watch Kilian practice over the past months. People think it's just going to the games and doing what needs to be done, but the amount of work that goes into preparing for a match is insane.

Kilian's laugh rips me out of my thoughts, the man who joined us and whose name I already forgot again looking smug as hell, suddenly. Knowing I didn't hear what he said, I plaster a fake smile on my face before I take a sip of champagne.

God, I just want a beer.

"Psst!" The sound makes me furrow my brows, and I turn around to find the source of it. "Jas!" Her voice is hushed, but I recognize it immediately.

"Flo?" I whisper as I step back from the two men, glancing at the curtain a few feet away from me.

"I'm here!" Flo's head peeks out from the curtain that leads into the hallway, and I almost laugh when I find her standing there in an oily overall.

"Miss Nyx..." I can't help but laugh. "What the hell are you doing here? And why are you in an overall?"

She pushes past me to glance into the room, and I follow her gaze to see Kilian raising an eyebrow at the two of us. I shrug in response, letting him know I'll get back to him when I figured out what exactly my friend is doing here.

"I need your help," she says.

"It's good to see you too, Flo." I can't help but tease my friend, who now only narrows her eyes at me.

"Do you see that guy?" she asks with a nod to the other side of the room.

I follow her glance. "The one in the yellow suit?"

"Yeah, that one."

"He looks like Pikachu." I can't help but laugh. "What do you need from him?"

"That's my brother."

"Oh..."

"Yes. Oh." Flo rolls her eyes at me. "I need you to tell him to meet me outside. I can't walk in there looking like this. You know people talk about my name enough..."

The sigh that leaves her throat makes me furrow my brows, and I wonder what exactly happened over the past weeks I haven't seen her. Flo and I have talked on the phone a lot, but she has been busy with work and the media hassle surrounding her family. It can't be easy carrying all of that around all the time.

"Alright." I clear my throat as I glance back at the guy, now noticing how he is approached by none other than Mitchell Brown with a certain blonde on his arm. "Of course. Who else would want to talk to him when I have to go there..."