Chapter 38: The Fountain

JASMINE

I miss him.

I miss him so damn much and I can't even tell him because he won't answer his damn phone. His stubborn ass is probably getting drunk now, and I know he's not reading my texts. I can practically see him roll his eyes at my name on his screen.

It's the only reason I let Hayden know about our fight; Someone had to keep an eye on the man.

"Have you talked to Mila yet?" My father's question rips me out of my thoughts, and I find him glancing up at me from his favorite armchair in the facility's lounge.

Groaning, I lean back on the old leather sofa, letting my feet dangle over the armrest when I admit, "I haven't."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want to." I almost snap back at him, but stop myself from doing so. Or at least I think I do; the raised brow Dad shoots in my direction says I overstepped a line already.

"Huh." He doesn't say much more; not that he needed to. I told him about Mila's decision to move without telling me, but didn't dare to explain more than that. I don't know what he'd think of the speed Kilian and I are going at right now.

"Come one, Jazzie. Let's take a walk."

The sun is out today, and so I don't hesitate before I jump from the couch and help Dad get into his wheelchair. He's having a pretty good day today, and I'm glad I get to enjoy his positive mood. I've missed my dad, and I can use some of his light-hearted aura right now.

Neatly trimmed bushes surround the outside area, and I enjoy the warmth on my skin as I push Dad past the wildly blooming sunflowers, steering straight toward the fountain at the other end of the vast garden. The intricate statues left and right have an intimidating vibe, and I'm glad when we pass this part of the outside.

We were never rich, but we also lacked for nothing, and my mother did her best to make us appear posh and sophisticated, when all I wanted to do was wear ripped jeans and oversized sweaters. I'm glad Dad could afford this place, though. I cannot imagine this facility to be cheap, but given the progress he has made since he got here, it's definitely worth it.

"Over there." He points to the bench next to the fountain, and I help him move right next to it while I take a seat, the marble fountain in front of us sending droplets of water in our direction every time the jets start.

We sit in silence for a while, and I watch the water glimmer in rainbow colors every time the sun hits it just from the right angle. The urge to just lean over and catch those bright colors and the happiness they resemble takes over, but I hold back. Happiness needs to wait for another day.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on in that head of yours?" Dad's hand covers my own, and I turn to see him shoot me an understanding glance. "You've been very quiet. That's not how I know my daughter. And I can't imagine this is only about Mila."

I can't help but smile at him. I'm a lot, but quiet is not something I'd identify myself as.

"It's not." I give in, but Dad only responds with a nod. "I don't know what's going on with me." The weight of my words makes me swallow, and I take a deep breath as I lean back on the bench.

"What happened?"

Great question. What happened? Everything was perfect. Life with Kilian was easy, and I felt like we were on the same page about what we are and where we want to be. I was surprised when he proposed, but I shouldn't have been. He told me about his parents' divorce, and it's typical Kilian fashion to do the exact opposite of what a normal person would do in that situation.