Chapter 25: The Broken Mug

JASMINE

Something happened.

It's been a few days since I went out with Coop, and it's like Kilian is a completely different person since then. Not once did I hear some lewdness, a snarky remark, or the witty comments he usually makes. It bothers me, but every single time I addressed it, he just shook his head at me. And to top it off, he keeps straining his shoulder by bench-pressing in his gym. Yes, Kilian Rogers is the kind of man who has a gym in his apartment.

"Men are idiots." I sigh.

"Well, we knew that already." Mila laughs down the phone line. "What did he do now?"

I glance through the balcony door and into the apartment, seeing Kilian steady himself on the kitchen counter as he tries to reach for the coffee powder on the top shelf. I can almost see him straining his leg again, but I stop myself from going in there. "He just...He acts like he can do it all."

"Well, this is Kilian we're talking about here. Of course he thinks he's invincible."

Silence settles around us as I furrow my brows, watching how the coffee tin now falls right onto the sling on Kilian's arm. "Fuck!" His yell echoes through the apartment, and I quickly turn back around to avoid his gaze, looking out to the tall buildings in front of me. "It's not even funny anymore, Mimi." I lean against the tail with a sigh. "He doesn't talk to me. Like, at all. Ever since that night with Coop, where Mitchell showed up..."

"Have you told him about that?"

Another sigh escapes my lips as I think back to that night. "No. I didn't know what to tell him, and it's not like he listens to me when I try to talk to him."

"Since when do you let a guy ignore you like that? You've never done that before."

Her words make me think for a moment, and I glance back into the kitchen for just a second. Kilian's gaze finds mine immediately, the coldness in his irises even from so far away sending a shiver down my spine. "I've never felt like this before, Mimi," I admit. "It hurts to be treated like this. It hurts to see him like this too."

"See him like what?"

"I mean...it's obvious he's hurt, and I just don't know if he's prepared for what might be coming his way."

"Okay..." She seems to mull over my question for a moment. "But...why are you so negative?"

Her question makes me look at the phone in my hands. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, I thought you'd be more positive about all this. You're usually so calm."

"I'm not negative, and I'm still calm." I correct her. "Do you know why I'm always so unfazed by the shit that's thrown my way? Because I'm prepared. I see reality as it is; a cruel bitch intending to destroy us all. The more I look her in the eyes, the less power she has over me."

Mila takes a deep breath, and I almost hear the smile on her lips when she says, "And I'm the writer, huh?"

"Shut up." I chuckle. "You know what I mean."

"I do. But remember-"

"Fucking shit!" Kilian's shout is followed by the deafening sound of porcelain hitting tiles, and I instantly whip around to see him standing in the kitchen with a frown on his face. My view is partly blocked by the kitchen counter, but I already know this is not good.

"Sorry, Mimi, I'll have to call you later, something's up..."

"That's okay. Just call me back when you get the time."